Chapter seventeen | Queen bee matters

As Eli left in haste, I leaned my head against the door. I took huge gulps of air, trying to calm myself before the confrontation.

My jaw ticked as the video played once again in my mind.

As the tape from last night showed Connor breaking down after the breakup, I knew the giggle echoing the background all too well.

As I heard the creaks of the wood upstairs, my eyes moved towards it.

With determination powering my steps and anger thrumming through my veins, I stomped my way up the flight of stairs.

I harshly knocked on the door opposite mine, not bothering to keep it low at this time of the night.

As the door was pulled open, a disgruntled Lea stepped into my view. Her eyes were heavy with bags underneath them as she gave me an irritated scowl.

"What the fuck do you want?" she hissed, crossing her arms.

With a scowl on my face, I pushed her inside the room. I slammed the door behind me as she yelped in surprise.

"How can you be such a heartless bitch?" I seethe, glaring hotly her way.

She returned my glare with equal zeal and rubbed her head in irritation. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

I pulled my phone out from my pocket and shoved it into her face.

She was silent for a moment as the sound of the video filled the room. She fixed her eyes on the screen with avid interest.

Slowly but surely, a smile made its way on her face, making her eyes glow sinisterly.

"Oh, this?" She gave an innocent look as her eyes glittered in a calculation.

"Yes! This." I confirmed taking a threatening step closer to me.

She gave a mock pout and tilted her head to a side. "The poor guy's heart got broken."

"I am not here to play games with you, Lea. I know it was you who made this video and shared it." I gave her a look, challenging her to say otherwise.

A smirk made its way on her face as her chin turned upwards in mocking. "Yes, it was me. So what?"

"How could you? He was in pain, and you decided to flesh out a trend from it?" My voice held a note of incredulity. "How can you be so heartless?" My last question was a meek whisper.

Instead of any signs of guilt rising on her face, amusement lit her eyes. She leaned back and let out loud peals of laughter.

"It's funny considering you are no better," She pointed an accusing finger my way. "You are saying as if you have never done the same thing. You're just as much of a heartless bitch as I am."

Her words silenced. The weight of truth made my shoulders fall along with my gaze.

Suddenly, I felt hate, but this time for myself.

She was right. I wasn't much better.

A monster of my own making, I had enjoyed ruining other's lives and gathering attention from others' pain.

She continued before I could gather my thoughts.

"I wish I had a better view," Azalea mused, staring at the video. "This guy must have been a horrible lay, not to mention his odd looks. Now he is single and desperate, just like your nerd. Am I right, Cyn?"

Before I could realize what was happening, my hand had made contact with her cheek. A tense silence followed the echo of my slap.

My mouth dropped open in shock as I registered my action.

"I-I am sorry-" I tried apologizing, but she raised her hand in a stop sign.

As she looked up from her hunched position, I could notice her cheek turning red with every passing second.

"I don't give a fuck about your apology," Lea hissed, clutching her slowly swelling cheek.

"I didn't mean it. I-It just happened," I stammered, feeling guilt flow through my body.

Lea gave a mirthless chuckle at my words, waving a hand in dismissal.

"You always say that. It just happened. You said the same when you broke my family apart." Her words dripped with venom, making a sharp wound on my vulnerable heart.

"They are my family too. I-I didn't break it apart," I whispered, feeling myself shatter on the inside.

Lea tutted, giving me a sardonic smile. "Truth hurts, doesn't it?"

I blinked at her, feeling myself turn numb. I couldn't gather the courage to say anything as a sadistic part of her got awakened.

"I didn't break it apart," I repeated like a chant, trying to make myself believe my words.

"No matter how many times you say that it isn't going to change the truth. Your existence, your birth was the reason mom divorced dad. You are the reason why mom slipped into depression." Tears shone in Lea's eyes as she recalled the past. "You broke apart my family."

Her voice broke at the end as a crack appeared on her strong facade. All the resentment and loathing she had locked away for years came to the forefront.

I shook my head vehemently, trying to shake her words out.

"You are lying. Dad said that mom divorced him because he was barely home." I bit back my sob, blinking rapidly to hold down my tears.

Lea scoffed in disbelief, pointing an accusing finger my way. "Both of us know that isn't the truth. Had it been the reality, the mom wouldn't have broken it off after twelve years of marriage."

Lea's sadistic smile widened as my hands fisted with overwhelming emotions.

"Mom doesn't love you. You know that too," Lea hissed, staring me down like I was pathetic.

I gasped at the spite in her words, turning away from her. Her statement made it home as it ripped my buried insecurities open.

"You are right, she doesn't love me." I paused, giving her a look over my shoulder. Her face lit up with a smirk as pain shone through my eyes. Her expression hardened my heart as I gritted my next words. "She doesn't love you either. Otherwise, she wouldn't have given away the majority of parental rights to dad so easily."

My words seemed to have shaken her to her core. Her face fell as the mocking smile washed away. There was some pain shining in her eyes, but I was too deep into mine to care about hers.

With a huff, I left the room, slamming the door behind me.

Lea was right all along. I wasn't any better than her.

I was just as much of a heartless bitch she was.