Chapter twelve| Pink Slushie

I moved my eyes away from the window and the passing by the scenery. I gave Elias a long look as he drove with concentration. "Tell me," I asked for the tenth time, feeling annoyed.

Elias just ignored me and kept humming along with the song playing on the radio. He was terrible at catching the tune. 

It was clear he was avoiding any conversations as the moment, distracting himself from the nervous tension filling his body.

I rolled my eyes and turned the radio off. He scowled my way and tried to turn the radio on, but I swatted his hand away.

"Ouch, woman. Why are you hitting me?" he said with over-exaggeration.

I huffed and crossed my arms. "I wouldn't if you tell me where we are going." My words were curter than I wanted them to be.

"I told you already," he said, shying away from the answer.

"Yes, you told me about your special place. But what place is exactly your special place?" Raising a brow in question, I waited for him to elaborate.

"For all I know, it could be some wacky warehouse where you might murder me." I added as an after thought.

He went silent once again, making me huff in frustration. We had been traveling in this car for the past thirty minutes.

"It is a place near the camp," he blurted. "It is just five minutes away."

I bit my lip as I thought about his words. In our town, the camp was the name for a small patch of forest, safe for trekking. This was the reason why often some middle schoolers were taken there as a camp.

"Have you ever been there before?" he asked, referring to the camp.

I nodded in response as my mind went back to the previous memories. "I have been there twice," I whispered under my breath. My eyes went towards the window, watching the scenery turn.

"Once on the middle school trip, then with my parents around the same time," I continued.

My mind shifted to my parents, making me frown. It was almost a week since my father called. The short conversation between us floated through my mind, crystal clear as if it was yesterday. Now that I thought about it, it was the night before high school started when he called in, and it was around a month since I had a call from mom.

Lea barely talked to either of our parents anymore.

I couldn't help but often wonder if my family would have still been stable without my presence. After all, my birth had brought along so many problems in a once happy family.

I was pulled out of my distressed thoughts when we pulled to a stop in front of a diner, right next to the camp entrance.

"This is your special place?" I asked as I gestured towards the diner.