Chapter thirty-five | Not The Jealous Type

"Can I call them now?" I asked for the umpteenth time, staring at the contact on my phone.

Cynthia huffed in annoyance and crossed her arms.

"Not now. How many times do I have to tell you that you need to let them calm down?"

I gave her a guilty look, but the churning of my stomach didn't cease.

"It's just, I-I can't..." I trailed off, not knowing what I wanted to say.

Her warm cocoa eyes melted to a lighter shade as sympathy danced through.

"I know. The guilt and fear of losing your best friend are scary and consuming." At her words, my mind went back to her confession about sleeping with Jacob.

Was the guilt the reason she decided to make a plan? I wanted to voice my question, but her words cut off the train of my thoughts.

"You need to apologize, but that can only happen when they are ready to accept your words. I called, and you heard how angry and disappointed they were, right?"

My head hung low in disappointment and shame as I recalled Cynthia's call with Connor. Andrea had successfully informed us that Navya was pissed enough that she couldn't bear hearing my name.

So, when I urged Cynthia to try calling Connor hoping to get his forgiveness, he straight out declined to talk about me.

The mere statement was enough to feel like absolute shit.

"I know," I mumbled, wringing my hands.

With a sigh, Cynthia leaned against my side and wrapped her arms around my shoulder. The video game playing on the television was long forgotten, even if I was nearing the end.

"So, when should I?" I stared at my spiderman socks, wiggling my toes in a nervous gesture.

She hummed for a moment, thinking about the response.

"Maybe on Monday. Let them cool off for the weekend."

I gave her suggestion a thought and then nodded in agreement. "Ok."

I leaned forward to pick up the controller again, but she swatted it away from my hands.

I gave her a slight scowl as she glared my way. Placing her hands on her waist, she tilted her head to a side.

"You have been cooped up here all day. You need to get out."

My eyes flew to the clock hanging on a wall, noticing it was near half-past six in the evening.

"But it's almost dinnertime? Where do you think we should go, especially when a storm is approaching?"

As if on cue, the clouds rumbled in agreement, and lightning crackled across the inky sky.