Chapter thirty-three | Friends Forever

"So..." Connor hesitated, giving Navya a look. "Will you like to hang out?"

His words were weak, almost drowned out by the busy school corridors.

Watching Connor hesitate wasn't something new, but it was certainly something rare. With his goofy attitude and uncaring smile, he was rarely the one to hesitate.

"Sure." I shrugged.

I pulled out my phone, ready to type in a text. "We should call in Michael and Aaron too. Oh, and maybe-"

Connor cut me off with a bland look. "No, just three of us."

I stopped at his words, blinking at my screen for a moment. My eyebrows drew together in confusion, and I gave him a look. "Why?"

Navya and Connor shared another look as a silent conversation passed through their eyes. They have been sharing these a lot these days.

"The more, the merrier, right?" I coaxed, waiting for someone to explain.

"Yes," Navya bit her lips, contemplating her words. Her hand on her bag strap tightened for a moment and then relaxed. "But we want to spend some time with our friend."

I huffed in response, rolling my eyes. "They are your friends too. Don't act like that."

"No, they are not," Connor curtly answered, making my eyes widen. His face was impassive as any trace of amusement or hesitation was wiped clean.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" I spluttered, feeling flabbergasted.

"Eli, I understand that you are socializing and making new friends, but that doesn't make them our friends too. We are not comfortable with them," Navya tried to explain, but I was having nothing of it.

"You are friends with Cynthia and Andrea," I retorted, making her sigh.

"They are a different case. Unlike your new friends, they are welcoming. You will never see us talking to Aaron or whatever the other guy's name is. They make us feel awkward."

I couldn't help but scoff at her words. While an insignificant part inside of me knew the truth, I buried it under my ego.

I was sure there were eyes trained on us, taking in every detail of our body language and movements. Ears tuned to the conversation as their mouths formed rumors.

Anticipation hung in the air like a heavyweight.

"We just want to spend some time with our best friend," Connor added, emphasizing the last two words.

"What about my wish? What about what I want?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes.

I crossed my arms on my chest, ready to rain fire. I don't know why I was acting this way and making a colossal mess out of such a unimportant thing.