Chapter twenty-six | Cancer stick

"I think that is all for today," I said as I shut my notebook close. Cynthia sighed in relief and closed her book too.

"Thank God for that. I thought it was going to take forever," she muttered and sank back in her bed. I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration. Placing my Organic Chemistry books with hers, I leaned back on the bed too.

She quickly curled up next to me and settled her head on my shoulder. Her warm breath tickled my neck, making goosebumps break across my skin.

Suddenly, my mind slipped back to the incident a few days back. Cynthia was hiding something from me, and it showed in the way she sometimes hesitated while talking to me.

"What are you doing tonight, Eli?" she asked, filling the silence between us with words. I broke out of my thoughts but kept my gaze away from her.

"Connor is coming over to stay the night," I replied as I flipped through my phone. "He will show up in thirty minutes."

She snickered and leaned away from me. A sudden lack of warmth made me frown.

"What do you guys do on a guys' night?" she questioned as she pulled a stray strand of her hair back.

I shook my head at her child-like amusement. Her giggle was sign enough about the absurd thoughts she was harboring.

"Contrary to popular belief, we don't gossip about celebrities and guess whose tits are real." My voice was bland as meat without seasoning.

A chuckle slipped past her lips, echoing in the closed room. It was half audible but still very enchanting.

"So... Do you paint your nails and have a pillow fight?" she asked when she sobered up from her laughter hysterics.

"A pillow fight, maybe but never painting our nails. Mostly video games and movies," I answered, swiping through my notifications. "We also share a few beers," I added as an afterthought, reading Aaron's text about some team bonding time.

Before she could reply, my phone chimed up.

It was a social media notification as someone tagged me in a post on twitter.

I scrunched my brows up at the unfamiliar name that tagged me in a post about high school friends. "Who the fuck is Sylvia Melnik?"

Cynthia peered into my phone as I clicked the profile of the girl. She followed me while I didn't.

"She is one of the juniors. She is part of the dance team," Cynthia whispered as she eyed the picture of a pretty blonde with light blue eyes.

While Cynthia gazed at the girl, my mind drew a blank. Her words caressed my ears as her hands gripped my shoulders. As she leaned forward, she pressed against my side, making me stiffen.