HIDDEN SECRETS

Chapter 6

"What happened to you?" Noah asked me.

"What?" We're sitting on the couch watching Poirot. We've both watched the whole series for about three times. But we still enjoy it. We try to find out small details and solve case before Hercule Poirot does. I haven't been able to concentrate today. Agent Savvaro's words nagging in my head.

Mr. Flickermen has a lot to hide.

I've tried to push the thought aside. because after all, it's Noah we're talking about. My best friend since childhood. We told each other everything. We did everything together. No matter how shameful a secret is, we faced it together.

But, That day, before P.E. Noah was sulking around the hall. Where everyone else was in class. But how can that be. I saw Genevie in the dressing room. After that Noah was with me the whole time. So, it's out of the question.

"Uh, jenny. You have your thinking face on." Noah looked a little worried.

"I do not."

"Yes you do. You're pressing your pinky nail between your two canines and your brows are furrowed."

I remove my nail from the mouth. I've been told a lot of times that I do that. I tried to avoid it. Because it clearly gives away that I'm up to something.

'I was thinking about what agent Savvaro said. "

"What about it?"

"Everything."

I examine Noah for about a few seconds. Trying to find anything unusual in his face. I was in a dilemma whether to tell him what she said or not. Clearly he was not responsible. I was about to tell him everything when another thought struck me.

What if Genevie was already branded. She was not feeling well when I saw her. It was clearly possible. But how was she stuffed in the locker then?

OH MY GOD.

Just after the teams were selected, I looked for Noah. He wasn't there. he came up from behind me. Is it even possible?

"What's up with you?"

"What?" I say awkwardly.

"You're eyeing me like I am a specimen in biology lab."

"Sorry." I glance at the TV again. The case already ended.

"It's been stressful. Get yourself some rest. Remember, don't tell anyone." Noah slung his bag over his shoulder and reached for the door.

"Bye" I called after him.

I glance at the clock. It was almost dinner time. I should've told him to stay. But it would have been super awkward. I would've been eyeing him the whole time. That's when grandma comes in.

"Where's Noah? He didn't stay for dinner?"

"No. He left."

"Well you wash your hands and come eat." Granma went to arrange the table for us. Reluctantly I got up too.

                                                               ***********************

I lay in my bed trying to recollect what happened that day. But every time it concludes in Noah. I know about psychology. It's happening because agent Savvaro made me think like that by providing a warning. I get up from the bed and bring out my laptop. 

I type "Famous cults"

I scroll through the results. Branch Davidians Cult. The Mason Family Cult. Heaven's Gate Cult. Then I curse myself for thinking this might actually be a religious cult. But the symbol. When agent Savvaro brought out the pictures, it was still horrifying after dressing. The burn, the flesh. Whoever did this was ruthless.