THE BRAIN

Chapter 29

I stare at the dramatic method by which Noah moves the chip in his hand in front of our eyes. Then he pulled the chip towards his own eyes and squinted as if to examine it. Ivy snatched the chip from him and raised it towards us.

"This is a tracer. And a bad news." She placed the chip flat on the table. 

"Tracer?" My mind was unable to process any further.

"A tracer is another word for tracker by which-"

"I know what a tracer is for God's sake," I cut off Noah from giving an elaborate speech. "I mean what the hell is it doing inside your phone?"

"Funny story," he picked up the front part of his phone, "this isn't my phone at all."

Skyler and I, both were glaring at Noah for making this so dramatic. Judging by Ivy's face, she doesn't know anything further either. She folder her arms over her chest and tightened her jaws. She feels exactly like I feel, like smacking Noah on the head.

Noah cleared his throat and put on his serious face. "Jokes apart, this is really not my phone. I had a tiny scratch over the top right corner of the screen. Now it isn't there." He tossed the front part of his dissembled phone and clearly there was no sign of any scratch or whatsoever on it. "Remember, my phone stopped working after we came back from the woods. There is no doubt agent Savvaro swapped my phone to keep a track on us."

"How can you not notice that it isn't your phone?" Skyler asked warily.

"Because unlike you, I don't have any pictures in it or much apps. So it was very easy for the FBI to hack my phone, copy all data and create a duplicate. They didn't think this through. the magnetic field of the tracer jammed any signal coming or going out of the phone. So I couldn't call or receive any. That would have made anyone else believe that the phone is broken. So, it was our good luck that I noticed the scratch today. Or else I would have never thought about prying it open either."

"Now the point is, why would she put a tracer on us?" Ivy asked.

"To keep our trace. Duh. Remember she said she would follow us and break in if anything goes wrong?" I pointed out.

"Nope." We whipped our head towards Noah. "I think she still suspects Luke. She only needs the brand to give the case a finality. That is why she is letting us break Luke out. So that he takes us to the Cove mansion and takes out the brand. Then they'll arrest him again and get the brand as well."

"But he didn't do it," Skyler squealed.

"That is why our mission would be just suicidal. No outcome," Noah sighed.

"But Riley too is a strong suspect. We can't just blow off the theory Savvaro gave us," Ivy looked like she was super excited about going for a jail break.

"No," I said realizing what I missed in agent Savvaro's theory. "There is a big flaw in her theory. How on earth would Riley know about hidden compartments in the Cove mansion? As far as we know, we all went there for the first time."

"But the bracelet?"

"That could have been on her wrist just like it was on Jenny's. Random." Noah chirped in. "But I got some other news too. Have a look at this." He pointed to the opened computer beside him on the table. I went to the other side and stared at the screen. It was a case detail of an illegal drug dealer about 5 years ago. It showed a very handsome man with eyes two different colors who supposedly was the head of the dealership.

"Look at the brand name," he pointed to the lower right corner. My mouth fell open as I saw the brand with an inverted cross and an infinity sign beside the name Cavanaugh's Pharmacy