PICTURE TO BURN

Chapter 13

"Remind me again why we don't have cupcakes today," I asked Noah as we were making doodles in loose pages to make it look like we're working.

"Because today is observe," he pointed to the table where Cecil was talking with Naomi in hushed tones. I could clearly see the three tier cake drawing on their table. If they are going to cut a cake with everyone, that's gonna be hard to beat. If she brings the cake from home, we can't even sabotage it.

"Then we start making the cupcakes today after school. Have you told Susannah?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

Noah poked my nose with his pencil and said, "Because tomorrow is sabotage. Then on the last day, we campaign." He put his hand behind his head and reeled back on the chair. "Think about it. They start campaigning today. Till the last day, they'll be out of ammunition. That's when we attack. We'll have effect on people's mind."

I couldn't help but smile at his political thoughts. No doubt he would make a great politician in somewhat near future. But he isn't in that. But whatever he chooses as a profession, he's gonna nail it.

"Do you have any intel on Alex?" I ask Noah.

"Yeah. He doesn't actually know the rules of campaign. No telling your plans to opponents. His tongue slipped and he told me that he was handing out invitation to the party at his place this weekend."

"Wasn't the whole senior batch supposed to be there?" I am pretty sure I heard that he was going to invite everybody.

"But they don't know that," Noah sighed. 

I never thought Alex would have such scheming mind. I was damn sure Luke was behind this. We just need a certain someone to leak the fact that everyone's already invited to the party. No point in voting technically.

The bell rang and we stood up. "Lunch time. Keep your eyes open Bravo 1," Noah told me.

"Ay ay Alpha 1. Wait, why can't I be alpha?"

"Cause, you're my vice president." I pouted at Noah for this and we headed out laughing.

We were out in the hallway. Three big tables were set out in three corners for our campaign. We can provide service or promises in return of votes. previously we could've just bought votes. But after what happened three years ago, bribing was banned.

"Let's just sit at our table with these papers and pretend we still haven't come out with a plan," i told Noah who was pretty convinced.

"Deal." Ignorance was the best card to play right now. That will make us a lesser target for Cecil. When she'll see Alex's party invitation, she's gonna plan a big sabotage.

I saw Cecil handing out flyers on which an energy bar was taped. I was confused, if she gave out energy bars for getting votes that would clearly fall in bribery.

"That's bribe right?" I poked Noah.

He didn't raise his head but said, "No. She is not saying that you get an energy bar if you vote. She's just handing it out to everyone. And guess what, it's healthy and tasty. Nobody's gonna hold it against her." Smart move.

"What about Cove?" Noah asked me, still pretending to sketch a plan.

"Handing out party invitations."

"So that's more of a service, not bribe. I guess they're going to get student favor."

I wasn't worried about Cecil's bake sale. because my bake sale idea was going to attract more students. After all they're teenagers. But Alex's party might be a problem. Who doesn't like a party?