ARRESTED

Chapter 21

"Lucas McFrey," officer Wild's voice boomed, "you are under arrest for the assault of 3 individuals and for possession of illegal deadly drugs." He put handcuffs on his already stretched hands. Noah clenched his teeth so hard that his facial veins popped up. 

The group of kids were now stunned and didn't make a sound. The news vans and reporters already arrived. They were gathering around Luke and asking him questions which made no sense.

"Are you part of a cult?' the one with pixie hair asked.

"Is this because of the love of God?" the guy with the grey T-shirt asked.

Officer Wild ushered Luke away from them. Agent Savvaro approached us and talked to Noah in a hushed tone. I couldn't quite hear what they were saying, neither did I care. The only thing in my mind was, no more attacks. But If had been upstairs a little bit earlier, I could've saved Alex. Genevie showed no response yet. But the guy from the antique shop woke up after a week. What if Alex went to a coma too? I could never live with that.

"Jenny?" I turned to face Noah and agent Savvaro. "They're gonna interrogate Luke tomorrow. They want us to be there along with some other kids to witness and justify." Noah tried to hide his pain but I saw right through it. It was hard for me too. Of all the people, it had to be Luke. I nodded silently and agent Savvaro gave me a smile.

The parents started to come for their children. Some of them even said stuffs like, I knew that kid wasn't good. Or something like, he was always fishy. I wanted to scream at them. I wanted to tell them to stop lying. None of us knew Luke could do something like that. Everyone liked him. But no words came out of my mouth.

Mr. and Mrs. Flickermen came to our aid. Susannah hugged Noah for a long time. But then she came to be and hugged me so tight I almost fainted. She pulled back and looked at me for bruises. I could see the tears in her eyes.

"Let's get you guys out of here," Mr. Flickermen said. He threw the keys to his car to Noah. "Take your mom and Jenny with you. I'll bring your car."

As I stepped towards Mr. Flickermen's car I saw a cop ushering Luke in the back of the police car. I was looking straight at him. He turned to his right and our eyes locked for a moment. Something hit me in the gut. This could not happen. the guy I knew all my life turned to a complete stranger. He looked blankly at me. His eyes saying one thing over and over again.

We're friends Jenny, we've always been. 

***********************

I stood in front of the police station not sure of what to do next. My grandparents were furious when they heard I had to deal with this. They called the police station quite a couple of times and complained that they won't let me face a criminal like that. I flinched every time they called him a criminal. He was my friend. At last agent Savvaro called them and made them understand that there will be a few other kids and we will be under full protection.

My grandparents offered to come with me today but I told them no. I even didn't take a ride from Noah. I didn't know why, but I wanted to come alone to this place. Just like Luke did.

Last night's thought came to me again. But I tried to shake it off. But it kept nagging me in the back of my brain. It wasn't possible. Then again, the size of the brand did seem a little bigger than the others. Was it even possible that there is a second brand? But my brain eliminated the thought because if there was, he wouldn't have risked taking it from agent Savvaro. My second theory was so absurd that I considered a psychiatrist.