SNEAKY SABOTAGE

Chapter 14

I plastered a smile on my face as Noah described the current position of Cecil and Alex's campaign. 70% of what he is saying is flying high over my head. My dad showing up yesterday was very bad for me. I couldn't sleep all night. I cried and cried. Jeremy came to my room in the middle of the night and gave me a box of ice cream. That helped a lot. Ice cream always helps. But I didn't sleep. So the whole day my mind has been gloomy.

"Earth to Jenny." I snapped out of my thought and faces Noah's worried glance. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Is it about yesterday?"

I nod. He didn't push any farther because he knew if I wanted to talk, I would have talked. Instead he starts talking about sabotages again. I block off yesterday from my mind and concentrate on what Noah was saying.

"You asked Susannah about the cupcakes?" I asked him.

"Yup. She said she's gonna bake the cupcakes while we're at school. Then we're gonna go help her with the frosting."

"You told her about the colors? The number?"

"Yes ma'am. Did you but the cards and strings to tie with the cupcakes?"

"Yes."

"So I guess we're all set for our campaign. Let's go sabotage people." Noah raised his fist in the air and did a sprint across the hallway. I snorted and started after him.

I was coming back from my Physics class when I bumped into Alex. His face lit up when he saw me. he was probably expert in giving that look to all the girls. But I couldn't think those stuffs. I had one thing in my mind. To prove myself fun and casual.

"Hey," he flashed his teeth. That's when I lost everything in my brain. No fun, no casual. All i manage was a grin. But then I remember he was running against Noah. if I started being all googly eyes towards him, I'll be held accountable for act of treason.

So I wiped off the grin and said, "Hi."

"So what have you been up to?" He rubbed his neck which reminded me a lot of Luke. It was his signature move in wooing girls. But apparently Alex didn't use it that way.

"So you wanna get intel out of me? Not gonna happen." I managed my best haughty voice.

"Oh," he seemed taken aback. The reaction on his face said he had no intention of such and was just saying hi. Now my mind was racing thinking that I made a fool of myself. 

"I was kidding," I say and start laughing. Soon he joins me.

"Look, I don't hate Noah or anything. I would be happy if he won. I just wanted to give it a try. I ran for class president in my previous school too. Just so you know."

Here I was thinking he was one of those jerks who didn't care about good grades. They only had passing grades and excelled in sports to get a good scholarship. But Alex. He had a responsible side too. 

"No. It's okay. I'm not mad at you."

He let out a relieved breath and said, "Glad to know that."

"I'm not so childish that I would be mad at anyone who runs against my best friend." Except for Luke maybe. He ditched us.

"You and Noah, pretty close huh?" Was there a hint of something I heard.

"Yeah. We're best friends. We know each other from kindergarten. He's always been there for me."

"You guys never went out?" He wasn't meeting my eyes. Two can play this game.

"Do you count the fact that he took me to homecoming last year because neither of us had a date or a group?"