THE WRONGED

Chapter 33

"We are here to visit Lucas McFrey," Noah said with a confident voice. I glanced around myself to find the station almost empty. One at the reception counter, another over on the table at the very right and one is dosing in front of the cell door. Cell door. That leads us to a narrow corridor which holds 2cells on each side. I wonder if he would even notice if we got out with Luke through the front door.

"Agent Savvaro has strict orders. No visitors after sundown. Specially for that lad," the receptionist looked like he was having a fun out of this. A bunch of teens entering a station demanding to see a prisoner. I bet that doesn't happen in Evergreen wood everyday.

"Agent Savvaro knows us, she'll agree," Noah took a big risk.

"I would have asked her, but she is not here and in a field mission. She turned her official cell phone off. There's no way to reach her. I'm sorry."

I wondered if she would disagree if we wanted to give Luke heads up before breaking him out tomorrow. I considered calling agent Savvaro in the private number she gave Noah. But, we ditched all of our phones at each of our houses to make it look like we are there if anyone happens to track us.

"Look," Skyler pushes Noah aside and stands in front of the desk. "Please let us see him once. We won't take long. His grandmother isn't gonna live long. She made these cookies for him and made me promise I'll give them to him. If I can't see him what am I going to tell his grandmother?" The guy's eyes become soft for a moment and I thought he was going to give in. he regains his posture but before he could say anything, Skyler let out a sob and magically some tears were falling down. "Please," she said again and started shedding blessed tears.

"Okay, okay. But be quick," he sighed.

"Thank you," Skyler wiped her tears and we stepped towards the cells.

"How did you do that?" I asked her.

"I am a natural," she winked and we stepped in the narrow corridor.

I ran to the 4th cell and saw Luke sitting on the floor still in his party clothes. His eyes were closed but he wasn't sleeping. "Luke?"

He opened his eyes and I saw the dark circles around them. "Jenny?" then he looked over my shoulder and asked, "What are you guys doing here?"

"We're gonna get you out. We've got some work. I'll tell you on the way," I brought out the key from my pocket and started on the lock. Luke grabbed my hand from the other side.

"Are you insane? Where did you get that?" 

"Agent Savvaro gave it to us. We were meant to break you out. There's just a little plot twist. we'll get to that. But for now, you need to get out," the lock clicked and I yanked it of the bars. Noah tossed him the clothes we packed.

"I'm not going," Luke said firmly.

"You know she gave us the key. So technically you're not breaking out. So hurry up," Noah told him.

"It's not that. I just can't go," Luke didn't meet any of our eyes. Suddenly it occurred to me that he was hiding something. The same thing for which he didn't even try to defend himself though he was innocent. But today, I wasn't leaving without him.

"Fine then, if you don't get out, we'll stand right here and then get busted for trying to break you out. You want that?" His flinching made it clear that I hit the right spot.

"Get changed. You've got 2 minutes."

As soon as Luke got changed we helped him climb the window and he landed on the other side. He is to meet us at the very place agent Savvaro assigned us to a deadly task. I locked the cell again and headed towards the door. The guard was still dosing and the guy at the reception was gone. I glanced at the key at my hand and got an idea. 

"Jenny, the door's that way," Noah said.

"We have to do something else," I didn't wait to explain what. But they followed me anyway. I made my way to agent Savvaro's temporary office. It was a total mess. I shuffled through some papers and found Luke's case file. I handed it to Ivy to hide. Then I opened the first drawer of the desk and put the key there. When they find out Luke is gone, they'll know who to blame. Thank goodness the corridor had no CCTV. 

"Uh, guys? I think you should check this," Ivy pulled out half of the clothe covering the board placed on the corner. The board didn't make any sense. I yanked the cloth off and gasped at the site before me.

Few pictures were pinned to the board.

Noah.

Ivy.

Skyler.

Luke.

Me.

 Several notes hanged around our pictures. All of them some sort of clues that tied us together. Tied us to the case. I could see the the red thread hovering over our pictures and all landing to the picture of the brand in the middle. She suspects us to be the attackers. Then why did she want us to break Luke out. To get caught. My throat became dry.

"We need to get out," Noah's voice made the ground beneath me solid and we headed out the door.

Agent Savvaro was playing a game this whole time. Only tonight, we were a step ahead of her.

********************

"So she really thinks we are in this? What happened to only 2 culprits? We are 5," Ivy was totally pissed as we skirted through the wood to our designated meeting place.

"We've been on her radar since day 1. She just played us," Noah's tone was deadly. I know what is coming after. "I'm gonna catch that culprit and drag him to her. We'll see who she suspects then." There he goes. He is more determined than ever. Even if it takes everything from him, he's gonna find out the real story behind this.

"I walked all the way. Yet here I am way before you guys. What took you so long? And please tell me what's going on," Luke said as soon as he saw us through the trees.

"No, tell me why you kept your mouth shut?" I stood right in front of him. My face inches away from him. The tension steeling his bones.

"I- I couldn't tell. I was threatened. You don't understand," He averted his eyes from mine.

"It was Alex, wasn't it?" His eyes go wide hearing my words. "Well you don't understand wither. He is coming after me. I was the one to discover the boxes. My red head wig saved me till now. But he knows it." I was breathing heavily. Saying them out loud made the situation so dangerous, life risking.

Luke's face became pale at each words as Noah and Skyler explained the whole situation to him. They were the ones who could do it with calmness and confidence. I am sure I would have started sobbing and Ivy would have started hitting something. So we both sat under a tree, our shoulders touching.

"She suspects me. That's okay. But all of you too? That's insane," Luke's expression was pained.

"Maybe not. We were everywhere there has been an attack. And within reach. We held secret meetings which she doesn't know the subject about. So it's kind of clever for her to suspect us. But she missed the bigger picture," Noah let out a breath. Then he turned to us and said, "Come we gotta move. We already wasted so much time." He checked his watch and I could tell he didn't like out chances.

Noah loaded the gun and tucked it on his waist and pulled his t-shirt over it. Jacket made a good cover for it. I was going to my backpack which was hidden here and stared at the kitchen knife for a long time. I decided against it and tucked two glowsticks on my back pocket.  

We made out way through the woods and emerged on Alex's backyard. The moonlight was enough to make our way without giving us away. We are supposed to get inside through the door near the pool which supposedly has weaker lock and Noah will be able to pick it.

"Ready?" I glanced at everyone. They all nodded and we made out way towards the mansion.