THE SPY

Chapter 32

The sun is almost down and we are waiting for Skyler in Noah's room. Susannah came in with a batch of cookies and yelled at Noah for his messed up room. As far as Susannah and my grandparents know, we are going to a party at MallO's smoothies. To our favor, the freshmen indeed are having a party tonight.

Suddenly we heard a strangled cat bark, if that's what we should call it. Apparently Noah said if Skyler didn't do an angry cat sound, he isn't gonna lower the rope ladder. 

"You call that an angry cat? More like a dead cat," Noah screamed in whisper out of the window.

"We are losing time. We could crack jokes later," I glared at Noah. As Skyler climbed over the window scrambling Noah gave her a hand and she smacked it away. 

"I still don't understand why we cannot use the front door," she said as she pulled out at her dress to make it set.

"The accomplice."

"If he can kept an eye on the front door, he can clearly see me get in there," Skyler's tone made it clear that she hated climbing rope ladder.

"Possibly not. You came from the other way around right? That should do it," Noah shrugged.

"Enough of this. What happened?" Ivy asked her.

I stopped at my place as instructed, to make it look like I was leaving from there. I took my car and bought some flowers on the way. The hospital was a little silent unlike the usual. I made my way to the receptionist and said, "Alex Cove please."

She raised her eyes to mine with the same bored expression which almost made me feel like I was a liverwort. But she just asked my name and then pointed me to the hallway. I walked slowly through the hallway and stopped short in front of a cabin. It was the same one in which Genevie was. I could see a little girl through the glass slab. I wondered if she knew about the girl murdered on that bed before her. I wondered if any of them knew. Suddenly I felt like I was nuts to come here all alone to face the culprit. But I had to do it. For Luke and for Genevie.

I took a deep breath and pushed the door open at Alex's cabin. His eyebrows furrowed at the sight of me. Then his expression completely turned to something that made him seem like he was amused. I flashed my brightest smile to him and put the flowers beside his bed.

"How did you know sunflowers were my favorite?"  He asked as he trailed his fingers along the petals.

I blushed, "I didn't. I just got them thinking it would light up the room."

"They are beautiful." His smile sent chills down my spine as well as made me feel warm. I was supposed to woo him, make him think that I like him. But with that calmness and smile, he was making it very easy. I could feel the heat in my cheeks.

"How are you doing?" I asked.

"Never better. They are gonna release me tonight at 10. I'm good to go."  Confirm discharge time-check.

"Did your dad visit?" I tried to put the curiosity out of my voice.

"Yeah, he stopped by once. But then he had to go on a trip again," he sighed. I could not help but feel sorry for him. How could his dad abandon him and go on a business trip? Then I had to remind myself that his dad is dead. The person he's talking about is probably an imposter.

"If your dad is out on business trip, where are you gonna stay after they release you?" Score to Skyler for seizing this chance.

"They already took off the seal at my house. I'm free to go there," he smiled. I put one of my hand on his and looked in his eyes. Come on Skyler, you've done this a million times. 

"I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I wanted to visit you as soon as I heard you were awake. But they tagged along. So I thought I could get some alone time with you. Wait, that didn't come out right. I'm sorry. I-uh-I-," I could not think of a single thing to say. 

"Hey," he squeezed my hand, "I'm glad you came. I'm really happy. Trust me." His eyes told me he was really happy. I guess my stuttering did help a little. I took a quick glance over his body. No new injuries as far as I can see.

"I should get going. I wish you were at the party at MallO's," I waved at him and closed the door  behind me. I almost bumped in to the nurse coming this way. My luck was in a very good mood today.

"Are you Alex Cove's nurse?" She nodded. "I actually wanted to know what he does all day. he seemed a little off. Does anyone visit?"

"No, nobody visits. That agent and a bunch of kids visited the day the girl at 6th cabin died. No one else visited."

"Are you sure?" She nodded. So he lied about his father.

"Take care of him please. Only a matter of  few hours. He'll be released at 10 right"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Thank you so much," I smiled at her and tried my best not to run out of the hospital.

"That's it? Then what took you so long?" Noah asked.

Skyler opened her vanity bag which was kept beside her and pulled out a large enough case. "I went to get this," she pulled out a semi-automatic pistol. Ivy made a choking sound as our eyes became wide.

"Put that down. You don't know how to fire a gun. You'll hurt someone," Noah told her with his hands in the air.

"Relax, it's not loaded," she put the gun back in the case. "We should keep it as back up. Since agent Savvaro is not on the team."

"Where did you get this?" I asked.

"My dad's. He had a license. But the question is, who is taking it. I know it's not me. Neither Ivy. Any of you can fire it?" Skyler asked.

"I can," Noah replied and Skyler handed him the case.

"You know there's a difference between air guns and real guns right? You can kill with it," I told Noah.

"I'm your best bet." I nodded reluctantly because he was right.

"Okay, so agent Savvaro said she'll make sure the station is empty for us, tomorrow. But we are going today. So we'll have company. So there aren't many officer's around at this hour. So we'll just go. Visit Luke and get out. In the mean time, we'll get him out, change his dress and throw him off the back window at the end of the corridor. Clear?" Noah glanced at all of us.

"What if they don't let us visit at this hour?" Ivy asked.

"Pray that it doesn't come to that. Because plan B sucks," I tell her indicating Noah.

"No it doesn't. We are just gonna stage an accident in front the station. When they gather, one of us slips inside gets Luke out."

"Yeah, it sucks," Ivy nods.

"Okay gather your things. We leave in 15 minutes," Noah said, a little overacting though.

**************************

We pulled out in front of the station in Noah's suv. As instructed we wore as plain clothes as possible so that we don't get attention. Skyler is holding a box of cookies in her hands. And occasionally taking one out and nibbling on them. I wonder that's what she does when she is nervous.

We sat in silence for a few moments. We needed it to gather our thoughts. I felt the key in my jacket pocket. I inserted my hand in the pocket and squeezed the key so hard that it left marks on my palm. I recalled the day I faced Luke last, the way he asked me if I believed that he had done it. I hesitated. But now I know that wasn't hesitation, that was my gut telling me it wasn't him.

We're friends Jenny, we've always been. 

I know. Maybe even more than friends. Only I was afraid.

"Time to go," Noah said not taking his eyes off the station. He's wearing a plain white t-shirt and a denim jacket. He has never looked more determined. "Ready?" he turned to me.

I nodded and we all got out of the car.