Chapter 44

I weave through the trees as the cries of battle shrink behind me. My breathing fills my ears as I try not to fall, tripping on roots and branches. Everything around me seems to close in, threatening to crush me, a feeling so familiar. My mind taunts me, convincing me that if I glance to the side I will see my family slain as I did before.

I want to be home, safe and sound, no longer running through the forest, running for my life and my child's. How can a single man cause so much terror? Does he feel nothing for the pain he has caused my family? Then again, Richard is no man, no wolf, he is something powerful and evil, something that torments children in their dreams. He torments me in my own dreams.

Coming to a stop, my gasping lungs force me against a tree while my legs beg for rest. I lean over, breathing heavy, until sudden movement steals my peace.

My eyes shoot up to the man himself.

"Didn't think you could get away that easy huh?" He strives over with visible cuts and marks on his face. "Come, before I change my mind and hurt you."

I dash behind the tree and push my legs as hard as I can to continue on my run. The sounds of paws smack and thud on the forest floor, telling me that he has shifted into something more dangerous, more unstoppable.

Defeat threatens to overtake me, trying to get me to give in to protect my child, but how safe would my baby be with him? I will not let him hurt me. I will not let Richard take my life from me.

Reaching a hill, my feet slip from the wet ground as rain begins to fall down on me. Trying endlessly to get up and to continue climbing, I fight back screams and shouts of frustration. Why is the world working against me? Why can I not receive one break, one minute of an advantage? My fingers claw at the dirt which is now dampening, turning into a muddy mixture.

Richards teeth clamp down on my ankle, makings cries erupt from my throat like a bursting volcano. He drags me and swings me to the side, throwing me against a tree and into forest brush. My hands reach for my wounded ankle, but there is no time to focus on my fresh injury as Richard is stalking closer and closer.

I want to give in, to throw my hands up in defeat. I want to tell that he won, Richard won and I have lost my freedom and chance at happiness.

My head falls to the dirt as tears of exhaustion roll across my face and into my hair, which is now sprawled in the weeds.

"Go away!" I cry. "Go away!"

Before his wolf can steal me away, a quick blur dashes by me, wiping him out of view.

It is Tyler.

With a sudden burst of hope, I struggle to my feet just in time to catch him in a relentlessly fight. Wanting to help take the bastard down, I near but Tyler blocks me after taking an advantage. His eyes dig into mine, praying that I stay away from the difficult brawl.

Jacksons wolf comes flying through the trees and dives in, helping Tyler in anyway possible, more than I ever could.

Teeth, claws, rich, thick fur torn, I fight to look away but I cannot shift my eyes from Tyler as I back away.

Richard is a Lycan, only another beast of his species can wipe him from existence. Tyler, Jackson, they are not his kind, they can fight as much as they want but the only way to kill Richard without being a Lycan would be by natural causes. The look in Tyler's eyes as they meet mine for a split second tell me that he knows, he knows this fight will be endless unless he is the one being ended.

Something not done by a person is the only way. Drowning, heart attack, starving, burning, burning to death. Surly if Richard dies in a fire he cannot last.

Immediately I head off back in the direction of the building. There has to be something there I can use to start a fire.

Coming up to the building I do not risk going inside, if I do I know something will stop me. My eyes search frantically until they come up upon a few cars cluttered off to the side. I rush towards them and attempt to open the doors and trunks.

The second I find extra gasoline, I snatch it and take my victory happily, feeling as if the clouds are beginning to clear.

I need matches, or a lighter, or something.

After finding nothing usable in the cars, I take a breath before nearing the building. I wanted to stay out, but I cannot waste anymore time. What if Tyler is hurt? What if he needs me now?

Slipping through an open back door, I creep inside and begin to search. My mind primarily looks for a kitchen, as I believe there to be a likelihood for a lighter or matchbox to be there. Turning a corner, I freeze when a guard, working for Richard, appears at the other end.

I swallow. He stalks towards me.

Gripping the gasoline tightly in my hand, I dash in the opposite direction and desperately search for a room or hiding place.

At the end of the next hall, as I finished running down many, I spot a entrance to a room. I sprint towards it and slide inside. Scanning the area, realization quickly hits me that what I have found is indeed a kitchen. Not much scatters the area but my hands shoot for the drawers and cabinets.

Open one, empty, open another, plates and such, open a third, cutlery, then a fourth, empty. My heart races in my chest as if it will soon explode.

In one of the few left, I find a small box of matches with a white, cardboard exterior. Before I can cheer, I grab the matches and face the door, but my way out is blocked. The guard stands like a brick wall.

Without thinking, I briskly take one of the knives for the almost empty block and point it towards him. The guard seems rather amused by my amateur weapon, but with a scowl on my face I throw the knife straight at him. The blade lodges itself into his chest, causing him to wince, but overall be distracted.

I swiftly slip past him and run the homestretch out the door with my matches and gasoline. My body wants to give up and crash to the floor, but I am too close, too close to freedom.

Back in the forest, I follow the sounds of fighting until I come upon the battling trio. Jackson and Tyler look beat, hurt, and tired. Without wasting another moment I grab my mates attention and go to him.

He sees what I have and he quickly shifts, leaving Jackson to hold down the beast. Tyler takes The gasoline and drenches the restless animal, coating him fully. Knowing what is about to happen, I look away as he lights the match.

Heat brushes against my back, whispering that the deed is done.

It is over.

I have my chance.

THE END