CHAPTER 8.

There was an eerie silence as CJ and Daniel walked in to the house. It was a two storey house with four bedrooms and a large study. The interior decor was a mixture of grey and white. He liked it simple or he can say Shona's preference.
The hallway had a painting that had been his father's gift. He was a part time artist before he totally quit to pursue his long time hidden talent.
They got inside and as CJ dropped his keys on the kitchen counter.
" Bunnie, I need you to go in your room and play with your toys." He gave the already worried girl a look of assurance.
He watched her disappear into his right and the door click.
CJ turned towards his visitor. Daniel had changed, he now kept a well trimmed beard and he had extra muscles. His eyes spoke of change and gained wisdom.
Daniel watched him like a hawk as he rubbed his beard. He noticed his left hand had a gold band.
"So he is married?" CJ thought with an amused look. Daniel was one who swore to ambush and loot women like hidden treasure but never marry. He always said that women were clingy and possessive which was unattractive. Daniel considered them vices that needed to be cut. They only agreed with CJ about not falling in love but CJ was against taking and discarding women as clothes.
" I trust that you travelled well." Daniel broke the silence that had sealed the on going thoughts in their minds.
"Yes, I did." CJ replied with a passive look. He knew Daniel was angry at him not for leaving but for not saying anything for the past eight years.
"Which island did you live in?" Daniel asked incredulously.
"I did not live on an island." CJ replied knowing that his best friend was baiting him.
"Then in America there are no mobile phones. If that was the case postal addresses are v ery much available,you would have sent a letter." Daniel mocked bitterly.
He knew his best friend was hurting but that was not an excuse to leave without a good bye.
"I am truly sorry Danny. I am sorry for leaving like that I could not stay here I would have lost my mind." CJ reasoned with his furious friend.
"Not even a single phone call? Seriously CJ? You know you were not alone yet you chose to run away like a coward." Daniel's anger seemed to escalate.
CJ stood there speechless. He did not know what to say to him at the moment.
"It was not only your loss but ours too, Barrak and I. We were buddies. I would not have stopped you if you wanted to leave but ..."
"I know that. I am sorry but the loss was too much for me. I lost three most important people that day Danny. I was sinking at that time. It was a tragedy and I couldn't swallow the painful pill. " CJ cut him off .
They both caught their breath and watched their rising and falling chests. Daniel shifted to his left leg and closed his eyes for a moment.
He was happy to hear that his long time friend was back and rushed here to meet him. He thought that he had forgiven him for leaving but when he saw him get out of the car with his daughter he felt betrayed and everything he had tucked away came out in the open.
"Did he remarry when he got to America?" He thought because the girl looked like she was seven or eight years which is coincidentally all that time he had left.
He was sure that he had good intentions coming here but did not expect such emotions.
He was not there to witness his wedding.
"Can I offer you anything to drink?" CJ offered as he moved towards the kitchen.
"A cup of tea will do." Daniel said as he sat on the raised kitchen counter stool.
"I thought you would order whiskey." CJ stated with a raised brow.
"I changed bro. After I met my wife if you have not noticed." He said raising his left hand.
CJ chuckled, "How did she shackle you?"
"We meet at one of my niece's birthday. Apparently she was a friend to my sister though I had never met her before. I was struck dumb by her ability to ignore me like I never existed. She even refused to tell me her name." Daniel recounted with fondness and love.
"Until today you do not know her name?" CJ asked with a playful smile.
" Oh! Her name is Muthoni but she prefers Soni. So yes she is Soni a very lovely person." Daniel concluded before he spilled everything .
"I am sure she is." CJ said as he handed him a cup of tea.
They sipped their beverage in silence. Their thoughts dragging them back to their childhood. They practically grew up together and that sealed an eternal friendship. They both went to same schools and lived around the same estate. Their parents knew they were inseparable that at one time CJ ran away from their home and lived at Daniel's for half a year.
Daniel's mother became a mother to CJ for she knew that she needed a mother figure since his had passed on earlier that year. They were brothers not by blood but by love,virtue and friendship code.
"Tell me, is she your daughter?" Daniel asked too soon than he had planned.
"No!" CJ replied with sternness. Yet he felt that she always was his daughter.
Daniel waited for his explanation.
"I found her almost dead. The night I arrived, I found her drowned and I saved her. For the last six days she has stayed with me. I do not know her family but I intend to find out." He explained
"I think you should talk to the authorities. You do not want to be jailed for kidnapping. "Daniel counselled with understanding.
"I know. It is just that she has captured my heart. I found some bruises on her thighs, at the back ,on her shoulder blade and on her neck's collar. I panicked thinking something horrible had conspired but it seems she had gone through abuse." CJ explained further.
"I have a cousin whose friend might help you locate her family." Daniel said as he knew it would be best if the Children Welfare's authorities dealt with her case.
"That would be good and thanks for your help." CJ replied unenthusiastically. He could not help but feel grieved to let Olive go. "Help me Lord." He thought.
" If there are no relatives then you can adopt her. " Daniel voiced out his thoughts which eased CJ's worries.
They finished their cup of tea and Daniel stood up as a sign of his immediate departure.
"It was good to see you bro. I am glad you are back. " Daniel said with a small smile.
"Me too." CJ replied with a relief. He moved to shake Daniel's hand and hug with a part at his back.
"Good to see you. Hopefully Barrak would be glad to see you. That reminds me, you should come and visit. It is my daughter's fourth birthday." Daniel offered as he walked through the hallway.
"When is this?" CJ asked
"This Saturday." Daniel replied.
"Fine i will be there." He said with a brief nod.
"Hey Danny,I am truly sorry for not calling you for the past eight years. I was in a dark place and I will tell you about it some day. I hope you forgive me. You and Barrak." CJ apologized.
"It is alright buddy. Barrak is not angry with you, I was. " Daniel agreed.
"I will see you on Saturday." CJ confirmed.
Daniel nodded.
Daniel walked outside to his parked car.
CJ felt a massive weight off his shoulder and breathed out relief that Daniel had come around.