CHAPTER 14.

CJ was getting more intrigued by Nora's character. He was watching her with Olive when he was on his call and then he saw a side of her that maybe she was hiding from everybody else.
"Who are you Nora?" He asked himself thinking that she was not as cold as seemed to be.
"It is rude to stare." Nora said too harshly for her liking.
"I am sorry I didn't mean to." He responded with a small smile.
CJ saw her getting too uncomfortable and regretted watching her like that.
"Tell me more about yourself." CJ stated casually to lighten the mood while  giving Olive a glass of water.
" There is nothing more to say other than what I have told you." she replied with an icy stare.
"I was just being polite." CJ said with a shrug.
Nora closed her eyes and breathed calming her temper. It was not right to be rude to her host.
" I am sorry. Lack of sleep derives me crazy and I get grouchy." Nora explained with a stiff smile.
" I am sorry I was being nosy Fatuma." CJ apologized.
"You know that story?" She asked
"Who doesn't?" CJ chuckled.
A phone call interrupt their cease fire.
"Yes, Richard?" Nora quizzed with a serious look.
"Where are you? " Richard asked.
"Out for lunch,why?" She replied.
"We found a body of a eight old girl." Richard said with a strained voice.
Nora went cold.
"Where?" Nora asked as she excused herself.
"Near Nairobi river and it has been taken to the morgue." Richard went on.
"I will be there." Nora said.
CJ was already up and looking at her for explanations.
"Can you drive me back to get my car?" She asked avoiding meeting his eyes that we were so concerned.
"Olive say bye to Nora." CJ told Olive as he went to take his jacket and car keys.
"Be a good girl." Nora said to Olive who was smiling and gave her hug.
Nora matched out quickly not knowing whether she was angry or afraid.
" How fast can you drive?" She asked the worried CJ.
"As fast as I can." CJ answered as he buckled up.
"Drive as if the devil is on you." Nora almost snapped.
CJ obliged for he was curious. They drove in total silence as CJ watched her repeated behavior to tap her foot and drumming her fingers.
"Can I take you to your work place?" CJ offered.
"No! You can't." She replied hastily.
" I am offering help." CJ pushed a little.
" I don't need it and why are you so nice?" She snapped angrily.
"I am simply being nice. Is that so bad?" He asked not knowing why but Nora was already fuming with a lifted eyebrow.
"Yes. Which is hard to believe. I hate nice people." She stated looking away muttering the last part.
"You hate nice people because you think that they are up to something and if I am right you are not used to that, I mean nice people" CJ explained accelerating through the traffic which was not as bad as usual.
" You are probably right." Nora gave a curt reply.
"Honestly, I am sorry for making you uncomfortable." CJ apologized.
"Is it an American thing to keep on apologizing ?" Nora asked.
"No, it is a courteous thing to do." CJ countered back.
" Okay." She said looking away.
CJ was concerned at her sudden change. He thought she was starting to warm up but she retreated back to her normal cold demeanor.
He was surprised by her sudden confession about nice people.
He felt a little helpless so he switched his audio player unconsciously.
Humming to the music he started reminiscing of his life after Shona's death.
It was full of sorrow and darkness that he had tried severally to take his life. He went on spiraling and each day was worse than the previous one.
He performed poorly at his work place that he was suspended. His uncle who was his host was understanding but he also had his limits.
He wished things would just end for he had not dealt with grief like this before.
" You are really into this God's business." Nora stated in detached voice.
"Yes, why?" CJ questioned with a frown.
"Nothing. Do you think God really exists?" Nora asked.
CJ was quite for some seconds carefully giving thoughts to his response.
"Yes, I know He exists." CJ answered with a clear voice.
He waited for her next remark as they parked in the hospital parking space.
"Then pray to Him not to allow that dead girl be Gwen." She spoke quickly as she unbuckled marching towards her car.
CJ was speechless and he decided to let her be.
He wanted to go after her out of curiosity but he was afraid she would put a bullet between his eyes just to prove her point. He watched her reverse her car and leave the parking space.
" Lord I pray give me strength." He whispered a prayer as he also left to go home. He felt helpless just like the day he lost Shona.
That he could not do anything was a hollow feeling that he would not want to go back to. He knew better than to keep lifting the heavy load. He knew where to take his burden and that had nothing to do with human beings.
He remembered Shona asking the same question.
"Sweetheart do you really believe that God exist." Shona asked while playing with her engagement ring.
The surprise party went well after scaring her to death with an accident prank which Shona had not forgiven yet.
"I think so, why?" CJ asked with a raised brow.
"I don't know, my mother is a believer and she taught me how to pray but after my little brother died of leukemia I have never prayed again." Shona said with a crooked smile as her eyes danced with unshed tears.
CJ moved to hug her for Shona rarely spoke of her brother let alone crying .Even after surprising her on her birthday or during their engagement party she was all mad and happy but no tears were shed.
The progress was good and CJ could not have been more happier than how she was trusting him with herself.
"I don't know what to say babe, I believe there is a reason for everything that happens to us here on earth." CJ tried to explain.
"Then why did He let James died?" Shona asked with a sniff.
"I don't know darling." CJ replied.
CJ sighed from the memory and he felt that Nora's question was out of a place of loss.
He decided to call one person who knew Nora for he did not know why there was a sudden urge to know her beyond what she portrayed.
After a few rings a bubbly voice answered, " Hello CJ?" Jade replied.
"Hello Jade?"  How are you doing today?" CJ asked with a smile.
" I am doing alright I thank God. What about you?" Jade asked.
" I am fine. I called because there is something I want to discuss with you." CJ explained.
"What is it about?" Jade asked with a concerned tone.
" It is about Nora." CJ said with a little frown not sure how would Jade respond.
There was silence making CJ check his phone to see if it was disconnected.
"Are you two finally dating?" Jade asked with excitement that made CJ cringe.
"No no no we are not but I am interested in her." CJ admitted.
" Then you are very welcome to my place for that discussion." She stated with a laughter.
"Is it okay if I come today?" CJ asked hope bubbling.
"Very very okay." She replied.
"Thanks. See you then." CJ said stopping by the mall to get some things for Olive and ice cream for Jade.
"Bye." Jade replied hanging up the call.
CJ matched through the mall with a new determination.