What If....

Charlotte gently rubbed the back of her neck and nuzzled the warm muscled neck
- You said what? -  Allison asked, getting up from the small chair.
- Yes! I said Yes - Charlotte replied, feeling irritated.
- Are you crazy? - Allison exclaimed.
- No, what was I supposed to do? - she asked - tell him to go to hell?
- Exactly! - Allison put her hands on her hips.
- You just don't understand... - Charlotte murmured.
- What?" What don't I understand? - Allison interrupted firmly - no, I really don't understand why you're stepping on the same rake again.
I thought you learned your lesson well.
- Don't make a noise like that - said Charlotte - you scared the Star, and it's not sweet enough.
Allison paused and looked at the horse, whose mane was still being pulled by Charlotte. She was clearly nervous, shifting from one foot to the other and waving her tail tensely.
- I'm sorry, little one -  Allison said, patting the horse's flank - it's just that our Charlotte is being extremely stupid.
The elder Heywood lifted her chin and stalked out of the stall.
Allison covered the horse with a blanket and slowly followed it out, carefully closing the gate behind herself. Leaving the stable, she walked up the path toward the house. Not far from the entrance to the Park, she finally saw Charlotte sitting on a bench. When she saw Allison, she wiped her eyes and turned away.
- What more do you want from me? -  Charlotte asked in a strangled voice that made Allison uncomfortable.
- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to push you - she said, patting her sister on the back - - simply...I'm just really worried about you. 
- I see - Charlotte said, still offended, but knowing that Allison was right.
- Just tell me why you want to meet him? - Allison asked - I thought you'd put him out of your life a long time ago. 
-  I am... I don't know - said Charlotte, still sniffing - he's been a past, or I thought so. Until... until I saw him today. Damn, I thought I was going to die right there...
- You look quite alive - Allison said with a smile, holding out her handkerchief - but the red nose doesn't really suit you, and the mascara is leaking.
- Ellie! - Charlotte exclaimed, wiping her face and no longer holding back a smile.
- So what are you going to do with this Mr. Parker? - Allison asked.
Charlotte shrugged and pulled her knees up to her chest, hugging her legs tightly.
- If I were you, I'd take a closer look at him - a woman's voice said - maybe he's not so bad after all.
The sisters turned to see Esther standing about ten feet away. They were so engrossed in conversation that they didn't notice her approach.
Esther Babbington has always been a model of elegance and style. Even now, standing in the shade of a large tree, she could not help but be admired. A light peach pencil skirt with a silk blouse that matched her figure perfectly, combined with beige pumps, made her look both formal and weightless at the same time. Her thick red hair fell in graceful curls over her shoulders and set off her outfit to advantage, making her look irresistible.
- After all, he never married that bitch, no matter what money she promised him-continued Esther, as if nothing had happened - Eliza is certainly an experienced seductress, but not this time.
- But... how do you know? - Charlotte asked.
- My God, but I think it's obvious - said Esther, laughing - remember who my husband is? Now, imagine, husbands and wives sometimes talk to each other. William had been in touch with Sidney all this time, and had even flown to see him a couple of times.
- But you never told us - Allison said.
- I don't remember anyone asking - Esther retorted.
- That's right - Allison agreed.
- He said that he came at Tom's request - said Charlotte - and that perhaps he will leave soon and everything will go back to normal.
- William told that Sidney took a long vacation - Esther said - so I wouldn't really count on it.
Charlotte sighed heavily and hugged her knees even tighter.
- You heard the elder Parker wants to dress us up in corsets, make us braid our hair, wear hats, and curtsy - said Esther, rolling her eyes dramatically - why this wildness? Do you imagine how to wear all this on yourself, and even in the summer?
- I'm sure you'll be irresistible even in this - Allison said - I don't know how you do it.
- Years of training, dear - said Esther, smiling and turning to Charlotte - and you must pull yourself together, my aunt is waiting for us in the study.
- We have a meeting? - Charlotte asked, shaking herself and getting to her feet.
- Something like that - Esther said, making a face - I'm sure it's about Parker's idea.He will need our hotel and horses.
- Sofia's not happy, is she? -  Charlotte asked.
- To put it mildly - said Esther - Allison, are you coming with us?
- Oh, no, thank you, I'll leave politics in your capable hands - the younger Hеywood replied - I'd better go back to the Star and then look at the other horses, which is what you hired me to do.
- As you wish - said Esther - come on, Charlotte.
Allison watched them go and went back to the stable, thinking about Charlotte's situation.
- I think I should call Georgiana" she thought.