Understanding

The night was cloudless and the stars were bright and twinkling. She lay on her back and looked up, wondering how much beauty such ordinary things could bring.
- God, it's beautiful!" How many stars are there in the sky! - she said - I hardly noticed them in London, how is that possible?
- The lights of a big city cloud not only your vision, but your soul - he said, smiling and looking her straight in the eye.
The nearness of her was embarrassed and delighted him at the same time. Out of nowhere, he couldn't get any peace. He wondered again and again why he was here on the cliff, watching the stars with her, instead of sleeping soundly in his own bed.
-So why did you leave? - she asked, pulling him from the captivity of your own thoughts - I'm sure you had a lot of different job offers and many colleagues and friends. Such a talent could not be overlooked.
- Sometimes things are more complicated than they seem - he said - None of this mattered at all.
- It's because of your son, isn't it? - she asked.
He sat down and stared at her.
- So you know I have a child? How?- he asked.
- I can listen - said Augusta - You mentioned Sidneyseveral times, and it wasn't about Mr. Parker at all.
He looked at her in surprise, frantically trying to remember everything he had said today.
- Nu if be quite frankly, then I googled you before dancing - honestly confessed August — forgive me, if I you than something offended.
- What did Google tell you? - James asked - that I'm an aging retired loser who lost inspiration amid family problems?
- Definitely not – Augusta answered - It says that James Stringer is a young and very talented architect, a native of a small cozy seaside town who has conquered the whole of great Britain with his work and has topped the list of the most sought-after specialists in this industry. And... it also says that after the tragic death of your beloved wife, you are raising your son alone. I saw the photo. He's a nice boy, very much like you.
- How much you can learn about a person just by tapping a couple of buttons on your phone - James said thoughtfully, hugging his knees - progress and technology will soon replace us with living people.
- I am so sorry ... I really didn't want to upset you - she whispered, unable to put her hand on his shoulder - I'm very... I'm sorry about her... damn, why am I always such a fool to go where I'm not asked.
- It's all right, I've come to terms with the loss - he said without looking back, looking at the sea spread out before them - What happened already happened.
- I'm really sorry... I shouldn't have ... - began Augusta.
- Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault at all - Stringer said, forcing a smile at her - I'm a widower with a baby in my arms, not that uncommon in fact, according to the statistics. I love Sidney very much, because he gave me the desire to move on after Emily died.
- Where is he now? - Augusta asked.
- He is n London. Second week visiting with his grandmother - said James and a sincere smile lit up his face. Augusta already found him quite a handsome man, but now he seemed to her just unearthly - I was busy on a project and did not want to leave him alone with a nanny...but tomorrow at 10 am Sidney will be here and I can finally see it.
- Can I ask you a favor? - Augusta asked timidly.
- Sure, what happened? - Stringer asked.
- Nothing, just... I'd like to meet your son - she finally blurted out – if you don't mind.
- Why would I be against it? Of course you can see him - James answered - But why would you want to do that?
- Me... I'd like to know more about you, James Stringer - Augusta said honestly - and without Sidney, it's impossible. Will that answer suit you?
He raised his eyebrows in surprise.
- Don't look at me like that, I just don't know how to lie and beat around the Bush - she said, frowning a little and wrinkling her little nose.
- I understand - Stringer said, smiling.
- You're still looking at me as if I'm possessed - Augusta concluded, her brow furrowing slightly.
- It is all right, I won't do it again - James promised, trying not to laugh - Let's go back to the sky See those stars that form something like a "W"? This is the constellation of Cassiopeia, named after Andromeda's mother. Isn't it beautiful?
- Very, very beautiful - Augusta agreed, studying not the stars but the profile of James, who was busily talking about Greek mythology.
There was something about him that could not leave Augusta indifferent. Now she had to find out who James really was and what to do with her sudden feelings for him.