↳ LEVEL 13.0

NOT EDITED
▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
GERARD'S BATMOBILE
CONUNDRUM
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

The air was so brittle Frank swore it would snap any second... and if it didn't, Frank just might.

"So," Gerard mumbled, finally breaking their small silence. His leg bounced up and down almost mechanically, his usual smile across his pink lips. "I saw you on Thursday."

Frank barely managed to swallow down his spoonful as his breath hitched. "You did?"

"Yeah," Gerard said softly, "You ran away from me."

Frank felt his lips twitch into a small frown. So Gerard had noticed him?

Frank then realized how strange it could have been from Gerard's perspective, to see Frank bolting off the second he was in contact with Frank. And though Frank did feel just a slight bit guilty - why should Gerard care? He was in the company of Bert after all, and that seemed like enough judging from how happy he seemed to be around him.

The thought made a certain bitterness coat his tongue as he managed a shrug. "Well, I was late... so."

He could tell from the small pause that Gerard had taken his response somewhat personally. Which honestly, made Frank a bit angry because really, what was he expecting? Just because Frank may have had just a slight infatuation with him, doesn't mean all of the sudden he would be killing himself to chase a boy that clearly didn't return his feelings.

"Oh, um, okay," Gerard mumbled, his chin practically on his chest as he looked down.

Frank cleared his throat, trying to put aside his sympathy and cloak it with how he had seen guys react in those teen movies. Maybe if he acted like them Gerard would see him differently... Or, so he hoped.

"Yeah," Frank said, lowering his voice slightly so it had a slight, comical gruff to it. "And, um. You had your boyfriend there anyway."

Gerard's head snapped up and his frown looked almost cute. His eyebrow furrowed, "What?"

"Bert," Frank swallowed, his careless exterior breaking as he let his nerves come back again. "I-I saw you kiss him."

Gerard opened his mouth to say something, but Frank spoke again, "Which is fine by me... I don't care. At- At all."

Gerard stared at him for a moment before he seemed to jumpstart like a machine. "Were you watching me?"

Frank's mouth fell open but no words came out as his embarrassment rose to his cheeks, staining them red. "W-Well, no, but- I..."

God, Frank should just get his mouth sewn shut at this point.

Frank knew regret was always an instant feeling, a lot like 'moral residue.' Like something hard to remove that got stuck on you when you did something against your better judgement. Frank couldn't always remember the feeling until he experienced it again, but the residue that came with him opening his fucking mouth seemed impossible to remove, like an indelible stain on his cerebral cortex.

"You were," Gerard nodded almost to himself, and his lips twitched almost like he was suppressing his usual soft smile. "And you're really terrible at lying too."

Frank sighed to himself, defeat and embarrassment coming over him. He harshly bit his cheek.

Gerard giggled at that, subtly moved himself closer to Frank on the bench they were sat on. Frank's breath hitched as he looked at Gerard through the corner of his eye.