11

I rubbed my hands together to create a fireball that'll drive the cold away.

Hah.

I wish I could do that, I'm just a normal high school student who is burdened with a lot of homework.

There was no new notice today. Maybe the school is preparing a special notice for the details about Winter Ball or so.

Not like I care, I wanted to spend more time with my family drinking hot chocolate, binge watching Christmas movies, and playing charades at the top of our lungs. Nothing can beat that, can it?

I was expecting a notice from Jimin as usual. There was an unfolded piece of paper hidden behind the days old notice. Huh.

I pulled it out to reveal a short message.

:)

- Park Jimin ☆

"How am I even supposed to respond to that?" I ask myself, stuffing the note in the pocket of my blazer.

"Respond to what exactly?"

I jumped and squeaked at the sudden voice of somebody speaking that somebody sounded familiar.

I turned around and saw that awkward boy a few inches away from me, staring right into my eyes.

"Uhm..." I trailed off, trying to come up with something. C'mon, think of something. Anything! "A friend of mine asked me a peculiar question?"

He gave me the "I don't buy that" look but didn't say anything. Feeling weirded out, I decided to walk away.

Luckily, he didn't stop me this time either.

At least he knows what boundaries are now.

The sky was grey again as if it wasn't already cold. This uncalled for rain was about to turn this place into a tundra. I didn't even have an umbrella on me, I don't think a simple beanie is enough to protect me.

The bell rings, and students take no time in rushing out of the classroom. I sighed happily, I was just relieved to be done with school, although nothing much happened today.

That happiness was soon gone when I saw a few droplets hit the concrete.

Crap.

It was raining heavily now, a swarm of students couldn't care less and ran away without a raincoat or umbrella even. Some already had a shield with them.

I smacked my forehead in agony, I didn't plan on risking my health in this obnoxious winter season, so I decided to stay back in school until this rain stopped.

I dearly hope that this rain will stop.

Only a few students were staying back. I suddenly started missing the kindergarten car rides to home.

I leaned against the wall next to the entrance door and kept a watch out for the weather.

I saw the dark-haired boy walking with an unfolded umbrella in his hand. For the first time ever, I regretted not being friends with him.

He notices my distressed state and walks up to me. Oh dear God, he's gonna taunt me now.

"Need help?" He asks, opening the umbrella. I kept looking between him and his umbrella, wondering if I should answer him or not.

He rolled his eyes, grabbing my arm and pulling me close to him. Before I was able to process what was going on, we were already out of the school campus.

A few steps ahead of the school, he stops, looking at me.

"I'll drop you at your house. Tell me the directions."

"You don't have to—"

"Of course I have to. I didn't yank you out of the school building just to leave you stranded here, I'm not a mean-spirited person by any means." He cuts me off. He was being right, I had to put away my problems and open up to him. I can't stay mad at him for the entire school year.

For what? Something peculiar?

I point towards the left road, and he nods, picking up the pace a little bit.

The umbrella was big enough to fit the both of us, but I still had to stick to him, which I found very awkward.

He didn't talk much. He was just focusing on the directions I lent him. Wanting to break the silence, I finally utter something.

"Where are your friends?"

He looks at me intensely. I feel like I committed a mistake by asking him that. He then shifts his gaze to the road in front of us.

"Jungkook is running a fever, Taehyung is busy making banners at home."

I kinda felt bad for all of them. Poor Jungkook was running a fever in this awful weather, Taehyung was working hard at home, and this dude who hangs out with them is lonely today.

"Oh.. I hope Jungkook gets well soon..." I say, "I'm sure Taehyung's banners will turn out fantastic."

He just nods at my words. I don't know how to keep the conversation going anymore, so I just stop and observe the ambience for a while.

He finally spoke up after what felt like years.

"Why are you so stiff around me? Don't you think I know you're trying to avoid me at school?"

I didn't expect him to bring this up at all.

"Why are you so blatant with your questions... and your... statements?" I backfire, wondering how he'll take it.

To my dismay, he doesn't answer. Of course, what was I even expecting?

Luckily, we reach my house not too long after that awkward segment of god knows what. He raises his eyebrows when he reads the name plate of our house.

He really is weird.

"Thank you for helping me, I wouldn't have made it on time if it weren't for you." I thank him genuinely. He better be grateful because I've never poured this much heart and soul into my tokens of gratitude.

He still doesn't budge from his monotonous and soulless poker face.

Until he randomly passes me a small smile.

"No problem, I have to help out someone in need." He bows and starts walking away.

What was with that random smile? I won't lie. His smile was adorable, but it was so out of the blue... it almost felt like out of character.

I reach the front door of my house and realize I forgot to ask him what his name was.

Damn it.