Chapter 5

The sounds of the wind hitting nearby bushes and a distant waterfall running where no one could seem to locate, everything, was grabbing his attention.
Jack could barely focus knowing that this was his only chance.
If he messed up and thought the wrong thing he would never be able to find out what's wrong with him. Who the flashes of people are.
And since he needed to think of only that his mind naturally put focus into everything else.
He sighed, he knew he wasn't going to see every memory. Only what he wanted to know.
He shook his head and pressed down on the vial.

A clip appeared in his head, he and Mary were having a picnic, sitting against a tree. Eating at this very lake, only... in the spring.
Though he wasn't technically there, he could smell the food, the hazelnut soup.
Mary enthusiastically looked through the basket, "Did you see all the food Rapunzel made for us? And it smells so good!" she exclaimed taking out a sandwich and a container with soup.
Jackson laughed, "Yeah, she's been trying to get me to try hazelnut soup for ages. This was her excuse."
Mary took a bite out of her sandwich and did a small dance, "Oh, dis es heaven." she marveled with her mouth full.
Jackson chuckled.
After swallowing she started up a conversation, "I really like Rapunzel."
Jackson smiled dreamily behind him, "I do too." he whispered.
"I wish she was my sister." Mary pouted.
"Okay, ouch."
"I don't mean it like that!" she explained, "Anyways, we were talking, well... I asked her a question while you were in the bathroom." Mary paused, "Actually, now that I think about it you were in there a while, are you okay?" she joked.
"I hope your story has a point." Jackson remarked.
Mary nodded, "It does. So I asked her about... Marriage, right?"
Jackson nodded as he took a sip of his water, "Right."
"Well, basically, I learned that when two people get married they inherit the others' siblings by law, right? So... Let's say, as a for instance. The husband's wife would then become siblings with the husband's little sister-I mean husband's siblings."
Water spewed out of Jackson's nostrils, "Mary! Mary. Mary I-" he stopped.
Mary shook her head, "Hey, I'm not directly telling you to do anything, all I'm saying is that mom keeps the family wedding ring in a drawer on her vanity."
Jackson looked at her wide-eyed, "Mary I can't just-- She's so--"
Mary huffed, "Alright, fine. Maybe we'll be sisters in another life."

The other memory it showed was Mary peeking out her mother's bedroom door.
A flowery scent came from the nearby vase on the dresser.
"Okay, Jackson, I don't see her anywhere." she whispered to her brother across the room.
"Where's the ring again?"
"One of the drawers in the vanity, like I said when I first told you about it."
Mary watched back and forth between rooms as Jackson opened drawers.
Jackson opened the last one and immediately saw it, "Purple?"
"Yeah, alexandrite."
Jackson nodded and shoved it in his pocket.
The two then left, headed to the lake to ice skate. On the walk Mary stroke up another conversation, "The ring is perfect for Rapunzel, not only is it her favorite color but when I asked mommy about it she said it means joy, empowerment, and hope. It helps you find the joy within seeing possibilities."
"I thought her favorite color was pink."
"It was, but when she learned your favorite was blue she started liking purple more."
Jackson looked at the ring, smiling.
"I'm gonna miss you, Jack. I don't see why you can't stay with us."
Jackson smiled, "Gothel would never approve of me, she doesn't even know I exist. I'm not going to risk her finding Rapunzel."
Mary watched Jackson with hope.
"I'm gonna marry her." he whispered, putting the ring back into his pants pocket.
"Yeah, you are!" Mary exclaimed.
The final part of the memory was Jackson falling into the ice.
Mary looked at him horrified, "Jack!" she screamed.
She fell to the ground, "Mom... I gotta... I gotta tell mom." she muttered as tears flooded her eyes.

Jack snapped back into reality gasping for air, "I loved her... Rapunzel... I..." he said heavily breathing between words.
He sat down, leaning on a tree as his eyes welled up.
He looked at the ground.
"Wait... This tree was in the memory..." he looked behind him, imitating what past him did. He got up and started heading in the direction.

Walking was too slow so he decided to pick up the pace by flying--well, hovering.

After a long flight, with no turns, Jack eventually gave up and stopped by a big rock covered in vines.
He kicked his feet and huffed, slumping back onto the vines.
He fell backwards and landed in a cave.
He looked around.
The cave was clearly old, he assumed the ground risen due to him having to crouch through.
He was left with the choices to either give up and go home or see where the cave leads.

He went through the cave.
Carefully sneaking through it to the other side.
Jack looked at the area in awe.
His winter didn't seem to touch the space, probably because he didn't know this little oasis existed.
There was a building in ruins. It looked as though it was once pretty tall and the ground around it was covered in rubble.
"Well, at least I know where the waterfall sounds were coming from." he laughed and investigated the structure.
Faded peach paint was on some of the clumps of rock.
"I know this place too... I just... I don't know how..."