Chapter 6

Jack looked around a little while longer before heading back to Jamie's house.
After the incident with Toothiana, he didn't want to go back to the base.

It was dark by the time he reached the house.
He could faintly hear the sound of crickets.
The porch light turned on and all three of the Bennett children went outside.
Sophie jumped up, "We got new bikes?!" she exclaimed.
Jamie raised his hands in the air in celebration.
"Mine looks like it's from a fairy tale!" Sophie exclaimed hugging the pink bike, "It has a basket and everything!"
Jamie rubbed his red bike, "I really like the color and the seat is very comfortable."
Zel giggled, "Was it worth cleaning?"
"The cleaning took a while, but yeah. Did you get yourself a bike?"
Zel shook her head, "No, I'm not permitted to have bikes at my school. And since I'm barely home as it is I figured it wouldn't make any sense to get one."
"But aren't you graduating this year?" Jamie asked."
"How can you play with us if you don't have a bike?" Sophie interrupted.
Zel nervously laughed, "I am graduating, but then I'll hopefully go straight into college. And I figured I can just ride Jamie's old bike."
Jack smiled at her.
Sophie looked in the air, "Jack Frost!"
Jamie and Zel looked up with her.
Zel giggled.
"Jack!" Jamie shouted, signaling for him to come over.
Jack complied.
"Where'd you go?" Jamie asked.
"I was... Looking for something. I still am. Can you help me later?"
"I can help you now."
Zel sat on the lounge chair with Sophie, trying to observe what Jamie was talking about.
"Your sister can't see me, it looks like you're just talking to the air." he responded.
Jamie nodded, "I know, but if it was important enough for you to leave then you can tell me now. It's too late to do anything anyway."
Zel turned her head, squinting into the night.
"It's fine, I can wait. And I don't really want people to know unless they have to."
"I have to know?"
"No... You're just the smartest person I know and I don't know who I can talk to about it."
"Why can't I know?" Sophie added.
"Know what?" Zel asked.
Jamie shook his head, "Nothing. I'm gonna go to my room if you need me." he said, excusing himself.
Jack looked at Zel one last time before heading inside.

Jamie plopped onto his bed, "So, what did you need?"

Jack gulped, "Listen, I know it's gonna sound crazy and I'm gonna be going pretty class so just trust me and pay close attention."
"Okay immortal being that controls winter, tell me what's crazy." Jamie remarked.
"Well, as I've mentioned once before... The tooth fairy, she collects memories. That's how I learned I came from a family. But recently I've been getting these... These flashes of people. Sophie turns into Mary, my younger sister from a few centuries ago, and Zel... I don't know who she changes into. It only lasts a second, then they revert back to normal... Does that make sense?" Jack stammered.
Jamie shrugged, "I'm slowly piecing it together."
Jack nodded, "Okay, well. Sophie's whole appearance changes. Her hair color, style, eye color. Just everything. But Zel... Only two things change her hair becomes long and blonde and she wears a purple dress. And then you said to me not only did she used to have long blonde hair you compared her to a Rapunzel."
"Yeah?"
"And I knew that name from somewhere so I went to recheck my memories for it. But you can only open your memories once, so... I stole my sisters and looked through it. I didn't see her but the name was brought up several times and the girl was clearly important to me. And I just need to know more about the girl since you brought her up." Jack finished.
Jamie nodded, "Right, that's a lot to take in. I don't really know much other than she was once a princess, but I can Google it on my tablet."
"Google? Princess?"
Jamie grabbed his tablet and typed in the name, "Rapunzel of Corona."
"I found an article, here." Jamie said handing the device to Jack.
Jack held it awkwardly in his hand and poked the screen, "The thingy on it moves when I touch it."
"Ah yes, the simple wonders of technology. Aren't you gonna read it?"
Jack furrowed his eyebrows and stared at the letters.
"What's wrong?" Jamie asked.
"I can't..."
"Why not?"
"I... I don't know how to..."
"You can't read?" Jamie clarified.
"Yeah, no say it louder, I don't think the people in France heard you yet."
Jamie laughed, "That's fine, I'll read it and break it down for your tiny mind to comprehend." he joked.
"Wow, you're funny."
"I know."

After a few minutes of silence, Jamie turned his device off, "Okay, here's what happened. There were and still are rumors of the girl having hair with magical time reversing properties. So as an infant some old lady kidnapped her for God knows why. She left the tower with a thief and went on a journey to... I don't know, explore? It doesn't clarify. So on the journey, she finds out she's the lost princess of Corona. Stuff happens. She meets up with her parents with the thief, Eugene at her side. The two get married and never have kids. Without a heir to the throne, Corona falls apart."
Jack stopped, "She... Married someone else..." he mumbled.
Jamie's eyes lit up, "I don't know much about this but, I do know that Burgess was built on top of the old kingdom of Corona. I learned it last year."
"She married someone else." Jack said more loudly and clearly heartbroken.
"Someone else?"
Jack rapidly shook his head, refusing to let any tears fall.
"Jack, what do you mean?"
Jack reached in his pocket and grabbed Mary's vial of memories, "Open this. Only focus on Rapunzel." he tried to direct as his voice cracked.
Jamie hesitated and grabbed the container.
He took a deep breath and whispered her name.