Chapter 7

Jack watched Jamie pressed the button.
"Rapunzel of Corona. Rapunzel Fitzherbert. Rapunzel."
Jack watched Jamie space out after pressing it.
"Rapunzel Fitzherbert?" Jack repeated.
He noticed Jamie couldn't respond so Jack started grabbed a bouncy ball and started throwing it at the ceiling so he could catch it.

After a few minutes, Jamie gasped for breath and looked at Jack, "I watched you die! You were... Actually a person and... You had a ring and... And a sister... And she kind of acts like Sophie which is concerning and... Wow."
Jack nodded.
"What happened to the ring? After you fell in the ice? Do you still have it?"
Jack shrugged and checked his pockets, "Uhh... No.. Should I?"
"Do you think it's in the lake, I've been to that lake before, we could get a metal detector and--"
"Why would I need a ring? Especially one that now carries such heartache."
"Because it may be the last thing in existence to tie back to the time you had a family, the time you were in love. It's time you be selfish, Jack, we need to get it."
"Jamie, I can't always live in the past... It... It hurts..."
"We're getting the ring, we can bring Zel and Sophie for help. And if you don't come it'll just be more dangerous for three children and our lives will be in your hands so it's really up to you." Jamie paused, "And being a guardian is kind of protecting children--Oh wait that is the main job. So... Yeah."
"Is a twelve year old blackmailing me?"
Jamie nodded, "Yeup."
"Well played, I'll see you tomorrow." Jack said heading out Jamie's window.
"Jack, wait."
Jack paused, "Hmm?"
"I'm sorry... You really seemed to love her but... She's gone. She's not yours anymore and I don't think she ever knew she was."
Jack sighed and his voice cracked, "I... I know."
"I'm gonna try to go to the lake at twelve. I'll see you there."
Jack put on a smile and nodded before rushing out.

There was a blizzard that night. Everything became colder.

Jamie, Sophie, and Zel all rode bikes to the lake.
"Jamie, I don't mean to sound annoying, but where are we going? And is the metal detector necessary?" Zel asked quivering.
"Yeah, everything is important. And I'm looking for something for a friend."
"That's very sweet of you, but shouldn't you have worn more layers?"

Jack kicked his feet waiting for Jamie to meet him there, keeping his staff close.
They all showed up in colorful bikes and the cold wasn't as harsh here.
"Weird." Zel commented as she noticed the small change in temperature.
"We're at a lake? You didn't tell anyone to bring skates." Zel noticed, rubbing her arms for warmth.
"That's because we aren't skating." Jamie said getting the metal detector off his sister's bike. He began searching the lake.
Sophie tugged on Zel's dress, "Can we make snow angels and a snowman?"
Zel smiled, "I don't see why not." she said wrapping a scarf around her little sister's neck.

"Hey, Jack, where'd you fall in at?"
Jack looked around the lake, "I wanna say around there." he gestured towards the middle.
Jamie nodded.

"Jamie, Jack, look we made Sandy!"
Jack laughed, "It looks just like him."
Jamie glanced at it but kept searching.
"So, Jack Frost? Is that the friend Jamie's helping?"
Sophie nodded, "Yeah, Jamie said Jack lost a ring in there three hundred years ago. It's purple, like your dress!"
Rapunzel laughed, "Well, it would be nice to find anything but how does he expect to go through the water?"
"That's where Jack comes in. He's gonna do... something, I guess. Jack is our protector. He won't let anything happen to Jamie."

Suddenly the detector went off, Jamie's eyes lit up, "Jack! I think I found it!" he exclaimed.
Zel worriedly nudged her sister, "He isn't going to go in the ice is he?"
Sophie shook her head, "I don't think so."

Jack grabbed his staff and trace a circle in the ground as Jamie blocked the girls' view.
Jack raised the ice circle he had cut out, making a way to enter the water.
"Are you gonna go in there?" Jamie asked.
Jack gestured his arms as he shrugged, "What am I gonna do? Die?" he stated before jumping in.
Zel jumped up when she saw the hole and held Jamie close, staring into the water perplexed.
He swam directly down in the surprisingly deep lake until he reached the bottom.
He obviously found nothing so he began digging while his hair was bouncing around in the water and occasionally blocking his view.

Dirt surfaced along with bubbles.
Zel couldn't process what was happening, "Somethings... Somethings moving down there... Digging..." she thought to herself.

Jack would grab handfuls of dirt and shook it until it left his hand into the water.
He continued this process until something stayed.
He couldn't tell whether or not it was a rock but swam upwards anyways.

The water rippled and splashed as he got out, breathing heavily.
Zel narrowed her eyebrows, watching in amazement.
"Jack!" Jamie trembled, "You're okay!"
Zel tilted her head and squinted at the empty but rapidly moving water.
Jack pushed his hair back, out of his eyes, and set the ring on the ice by Jamie's feet, "I... Got... It..." he laughed barely breathing.
Zel watched as the ring came out of the water, "What just happened?"
Sophie nudged her, "Jack Frost."
Zel looked at the water as Jack got out.
He couldn't help but look at her.
The cold water soaked his clothing. But he could only focus on her and her intense stare.
Jamie picked up the ring, "What did Mary say? Alexandrite means joy, empowerment, and hope. You really need those things right now, Jack."
Zel couldn't fathom what was happening so she grabbed her aching head and leaned on a nearby tree.
Jack took the ring out of Jamie's hand and held it close. He turned his gaze over to Zel, "Is she okay?"