Chapter 20

"That one's you."
"What... What do you mean?" Zel asked looking up at him.
"They're memories. Memories of past lives. And that one is your past life." he proceeded to aim his staff toward the vial.
He crouched down beside her and set Rapunzel's memories down, placing Mary in her hand.
"Now, before you press that button, think of the word, 'Rapunzel'."
Zel hesitantly complied.
After a few minutes of spacing out, she returned to reality, "You... You showed Jamie this. That's why he made you get the ring."
Jack nodded.
"But this doesn't prove anything, Jack." Zel sighed heavily and got up, "But, it doesn't matter. Evidence of the reason you get my name wrong... It's not going to change anything."
Jack, who assumed she was talking about their relationship felt saddened by this, "Why not?"
"Mom... She's uh... She's making me leave. Says I can't visit anymore because I'm being too childish."
"You're leaving?!" Jack unknowingly shouted.
"Yes and... It's all because I believe in Jack Frost."
Jack looked down at the ground, this was all his fault. Maybe if he just stopped learning everything, if he just ignored her. This wouldn't have happened. He would've never grown attached to someone he'd have to watch leave. He would never know how much he hurt someone. And he would probably be happier and carefree.
He might've even gotten into a relationship with Toothiana, but he ruined everything. He just should've never cared.

But...
Now he can't stop.
"I'm sorry about Rapunzel. It looked like you cared for her a lot."
He walked behind Zel who was revolting the clothes she ruined during her tantrum and he laid his hand on her shoulder, sending chills down her spine, "Let me be selfish."
"What?"
"Do you know the history of Corona?"
"I guess I remember a little from sixth grade, why?"
Jack placed Rapunzel's memories into Zel's hand and placed his lips by her ear.
For such cold hands, he had warm breath, "Good, think of it. Think of everything about it."
Zel didn't hesitate this time. She already knew what was going to happen but...
When she did so she saw herself. Her blonde self, with much longer hair.
She saw Rapunzel.
Rapunzel's whole life.
From being kidnapped to marrying Eugene Fitzherbert. The name Jack had called Flynnigan who bared a striking resemblance.
Zel gasped for breath as she reached reality once again, "What? What just-- is this a trick? How? I... That was me! And Flynnigan and... And you! You never came back... You died. But no one came to tell m-her. She was so heartbroken..."
Jack pursed his lips together as Zel tried to process what was happening.
But she wasn't.
One thing ran through her mind.
"Why was mother there?"
"What? Do you mean Queen Arianna?"
Zel shook her head, "No... no. My mother, Esther. Why was she that horrid woman?"
"Wait, Gothel?"
"Yes... Yes... That evil woman, she is my mother, sure her face shape is a bit different along with her hair and body but... I can recognize my mother's face."
"Gothel and Mrs. Bennett are the same people?"
"Well, I... I don't know but it looked exactly like her."
Jack slumped his shoulders, "Is that all you noticed?"
Zel shook her head, "Of course not, I saw everything. Even ou-your slight romance with her. But... Flynnigan hasn't changed, I guess I'm similar to... her and you're obviously still the same person so... If we relive our lives so similar to before... Why was my mother once an evil witch?"
Jack paused, he didn't know the answer.
How has he never noticed the similarities between both Gothel and Esther?
Granted he had only learned about the beldam recently but he should've noticed.
"Zel-"
"Jack, I know Rapunzel loved you and you, her but-"
"She didn't love me. Didn't you see how quickly she moved on?"
"I watched her look out her window for months waiting for your return and settling for the only other man she met because he's the only other person to show an interest in her and after you, she didn't feel she could do any better. We all see things differently. But I need to know why Ester is here." she finished, pointing down at the vial repeatedly.
Jack looked down, "I can't tell you that. I wouldn't know the answer. Memories aren't my job."
"Well... Learn. I'm leaving tomorrow and I need to know now." she pleaded.
Jack shook his head once and paused, looking up at her, "...You go with me."
"What?"
"I will try to find out but... Only if you promise to go with me."
Zel stared him down and let out a huff of air, "Alright. We just... can't be gone forever."
Jack nodded and he put out his hand.
Zel looked at it with a cocked brow.
"Just trust me and take it."