Chapter 12

Spaced out, Zel flipped a chocolate chip pancake before plating it and missing.
Jamie came out of his room, rubbing his eyes, "It smells really good in here."
Zel poured more pancake batter into the pan, "Thank you, mother and father are busy today so I guess that means I'm in charge." she explained void of emotion.
As the pancake was cooking Zel put an empty glass on the island and began to pour orange juice in it.
"Are you okay?" Jamie asked her confused.
"Yes I'm okay, why do you ask?" she said keeping the same high pitched tone as she stared directly ahead of her.
Jamie furrowed his eyebrows, "Because you're missing the cup..." Jamie slowly answered.
"Hm?" Zel questioned blinking repeatedly with a plastic Barbie expression.
"You're clearly not hearing me so... I'm just gonna... Yeah..." Jamie admitted, moving the cup under where she was pouring.
Jamie then had to stop her when the cup started overflowing.
"Right, pancakes." she said, dropping the orange juice on the counter. She grabbed the empty plate, ignoring the food on the counter, and set it in front of Jamie.
"Wha?"
"I'm gonna go wake your sister."
Jamie watched her walk away almost robotically. He jumped and set up food for Sophie so that Zel wouldn't have to.
Zel came out of Sophie's room with nothing.
"Where's Sophie?" Jamie examined.
"What about Sophie?"
"You just went to get her."
"Oh! Right!" Zel finished, turning back around.
Jamie scratched the back of his head and grabbed one of the counter pancakes, shoving it in his mouth and heading outside.
Zel arrived in the kitchen holding the exhausted Sophie's hand, "Jamie?" she called looking around.
He wasn't in any of the rooms.
She let go of Sophie's hand and ran to the front door, "Sophie, you stay and ea--" she looked at the counter, "I don't remember making you a plate--Nevermind. Just stay in the house, keep an eye out for Jamie."
She grabbed a hat and scarf off a nearby coat rack and closed the door behind her.
"Jamie!" she shouted. 

The only person outside in the area was a man dressed in tattered clothing, Zel tapped his shoulder "Uh, sir? Excuse me?"
He turned around and studied her face, he let out a silent, "Wow."
Zel tilted her head, "Uhh, are you new here?"
"The neighborhood? I guess you could say that." he laughed with a smirk.
Zel extended her hand, "Well, I'm Zel Bennett."
He took her hand and firmly shook it once, "Flynnigan."
Zel nodded and rubbed her arms, "So, do you know where any kids are? Preferably a little boy with brown eyes and hair?"
Flynnigan shook his head, "Well... No. Actually, I just got here myself."
Zel looked around, "Really? Can you help me find him then? It shouldn't be so hard he's usually in a big group."
"I--"
"I can pay you!" Zel interrupted.
Flynnigan paused, "Alright... I guess that's fair. Any idea where he went?"
Zel scratched the back of her head, "Uhm, I'm not actually with him often so..." she paused, "I'll ask Sophie, follow me."
Walking to the house Flynnigan asked her a question, "So, how much money am I getting?"
"Well, I figure since he isn't really running away and just probably with friends. Maybe thirty at most."
"Seems reasonable."
They approached the door and Zel peaked her head through to see her sister who fell asleep on her breakfast, "Sophie!" Zel shouted.
Sophie shot up and looked toward the sound, "Wha?"
"Grab a coat, you have to help me find Jamie."
Sophie slowly turned around and slumped to the coat rack.
"Do I have to? I'm still eating." she groaned.
Zel laughed, "Didn't look like much eating was going on to me."
After Sophie put on a jacket Zel grabbed her hand and led the tired child outside.
Sophie rubbed her eyes, "Who's that?"
"He's also helping us look for our brother." Zel admitted.
Sophie angrily furrowed her eyebrows, "Why didn't you get Jack to help?"
Zel didn't respond.
"Who's Jack?" Flynnigan butted in.
"He's just... a friend... That they have."

Flynnigan nudged her, "How old is he?"
"That's not your concern." Sophie fumed.
"Sorry for asking, short stuff." Flynnigan looked down at Zel who was lost in thought, "Excuse me for being so forward but, are you single?"
Zel looked up and blinked, "Hm? What? Oh! Yes."
Flynnigan smirked, "Are you interested in anyone?"
"Well, I--"
Sophie glared at him, "Yes she is, Jack!"
"What?" Zel demanded.
"Jamie told me."
"Well, I didn't tell Jamie anything of the sort. I'm not even allowed to be interested in anyone. Why did he tell you that?"
"Well, actually... He said Jack might like you." Sophie admitted.
"Oh my gosh, Sophie. He's not even real!" Zel claimed.
"You saw him last night!"
"I don't know what I saw last night. I... I forgot to take my pills."
Sophie started running, "If you don't believe in him I don't want to help you!" she screamed.
"Sophie, wait--"
Zel facepalmed, "I've lost two kids and I've only been in charge an hour." she groaned.
"It happens? Anyways, we should probably chase her down." Flynnigan suggested.
Zel nodded, "Uh-huh, yeah."

They both began running toward the small girl but given her headstart coupled with the fact she was already really fast when she wanted to be. They didn't reach her anytime soon.
Sophie noticed and led them to where she assumed Jamie was, where Jack died.