Chapter 4

Pov. Noah

"So how did it go?", asked me Eli the moment I entered the house.

He was sitting across from my family. My brother who's, like always, studying, and my mother on her wheelchair watching some TV.

"Shouldn't you be at your place?", I asked him, not wanting to bring up that girl.

"I called in sick", he coughed. It was obvious he was laughing.

I shook my head at him. I kissed my mother's cheek who gave me a warm smile, and did the same for my brother.

"I got the job" I told him, hoping he will stop at that. But of course we are talking about Eli here: "and...?", he urged me to continue.

I sighed but told him what he wanted to heard: "she was threatened by someone who wants the formula of her medicine" I said in one go, hoping it would be enough. They were all looking at me with dropped jaws.

I sighed and got up without another word, went into my room and laid on my bed. I closed my eyes and suddenly her hazel look came into my mind.

I automatically opened my eyes and sighed.

Are you that full of your self that you couldn't even smile?

No matter what happens, I need the job. We need the money.

And with that, blackness consumed me and even then, her frozen eyes didn't leave me.

The next morning, I was at her door at 8:00 a.m at the dot, and Rose opened it for me with the usual warm smile on her face.

"Hello Noah! How are you today?", she asked while guiding me inside. I reciprocate her smile and replied: "I'm fine, thank you. How are you?"

Before she could reply, the clicking sounds of heels on the floor stole our attention.

And in she came in, as beautiful as I saw her yesterday, looking like a diva with a red suit and curly hair, hair that has always got me so far.

But all her looks faint in vain the moment you look at her emotionless face.

Her eyes flickered to Rose and she nodded her head. The aged woman reciprocated with a smile and went on her way.

Couldn't she at least smile at her?

I began to get frustrated at her lack of manors.

To my surprise, she acknowledged me.

"Good morning, thank you for being at time. Can we go now?"

Despite her cryptical words, her voice was warm and made something to my body that I didn't like.

I smiled at her and nodded, her eyes flickered to my smile, then at my eyes and without any words she began walking towards the door.

"God please help me", I muttered under my breath before following her.