27

Despite my worst expectations, having a pregnant Cheryl was not that bad. She did have a few mood swings. But most of the time she was happy and content. She was nice to everyone. A little too nice. She even spoke kindly to the strangers we met. If i didnt know she was doing all this for the baby to be happy, i would have taken her to therapy.

  After a week, we couldnt hide the baby bump from dad anymore. So we said that mom was taking Cheryl to a trip and that they would be back in a month or two. We got fake tickets and even dropped them off to the bus stand. But they werent actually leaving. Mom had met Caspian and decided that they would live in the shed with him.

  Caspian had easily won over mom. Even though witches and vampires tended to be a little hostile towards eachother, it wasnt like that between mom and him. The shed looked small but it was convinient. Mom and Cheryl were comfortable living there. I visited them as often as i could. I spent a lot of time taking care of the house and dad.

   Caspian took the pregnancy news really well. He seemed really happy and he did everything thing he could do to help us. I could imagine him being a responsible father. Two weeks passed peacefully. Everything was going great. Cheryl and Caspian were happy, mother was finally being a mother and college was going really well. But i should know better than to believe that good things last.

   It was late and i was completing an assignment. It had been a month since Cheryl had moved out. Mother had gone to visit her coven and tell them about Cheryl's pregnancy and her visions. Suddenly, there was a knock on the room window. I looked to see Cheryl outside. I opened the window and helped her in. As soon as she was in the room, she hugged me and started crying.

   After sometime, she stopped crying and pulled away a little. I was very worried and i asked her what is wrong. She didnt seem hurt. I dont think anyone else would be hurt. The baby seemed fine too. She looked at me, her eyes red and swollen. She started crying again but this time, she gave me a piece of paper. It was a note.

  Dear Cheryl,
  I am sorry about this. I wish i could stay. But i cant. I have a mission and dream to accomplish. I hope we will meet again. But till then, dont try looking for me. Take care of the child.
Love and regret,
Caspian

  I gasped, the note falling down. I couldnt believe that Caspian had fled. He ran away from Cheryl and his unborn child. How could he do that? What was more important than that? What will we do now? Cheryl must be heartbroken. She loved him so much. I hugged Cheryl. I didnt know what else i could do.

  She stayed in the house that night, crying throughout the night. I let her. I called mother and told her to hurry back. I fell asleep even after trying to stay awake the whole night. When I woke up, i found Cheryl in the kitchen, making breakfast for me. Her eyes were swollen and her face was flushed from crying. But she smiled when she saw me.

  She had made eggs for breakfast. I eyed her warily. She was smiling and singing to herself. She didnt look sad at all. I was worried she had lost it. But i knew she wouldn't lose it because some guy ran away. She was stronger than that. She was trying to be brave and happy for the baby. She didnt want to hurt anyone because of her sadness.

  During such times, i admired her strength and selflessness. We ate breakfast in silence. She stayed with me the whole day. We cleaned the house, made food and watched tv together. I skipped my classes, not wanting to leave her alone yet. When i asked her how she was feeling, she said she would be fine but then changed the topic.

  Mother was back in the evening. When we told her what had happened, she was furious. She wanted to curse Caspian and perhaps she would have. But Cheryl begged her not to. It was a little difficult to try and live normally after that. I was constantly worried about Cheryl and visited her everyday. Another month flew by.

Cheryl could hardly move, the baby was really huge. I insisted on seeing a doctor and getting her checked. But mother refused to go to any human. She had helped many pregnant witches. So she knew what she was doing. She collected herbs that would strengthen the baby and Cheryl. She also helped me with the house chores sometimes. It felt like she was making up for leaving us years ago.

   One month later, it was past midnight and i was sleeping next to Cheryl. Suddenly, she screamed. I woke and looked around for any threats but didnt see anyone. I looked down to see Cheryl holding her stomach, crying. She looked like she was going through immense pain. Mother came rushing to us and checked on Cheryl.

  "Be strong my child. It is time for that baby to be born." She said.

  Before, i could get worried and anxious about Cheryl going into labour, mother put me to work. She told me to bring, water, towels, herbs and a pair of scissors. I hurried and got everything, then i sat down and held Cheryl's hand, Praying to God. I prayed that the baby would be everything we hoped for and that Cheryl would be fine.

  It took a few hours for the baby to finally be born. Those few hours might haunt me forever. But all my worriers faded away when i looked at the baby. It started crying as i slowly cleaned it and then wrapped it up. It was the most beautiful thing on earth. It was a baby girl. Her skin was fair and flawless, she had a tuft of red hair on her head.

  She looked so beautiful. Looking at her, i started crying. When Cheryl and mom looked at her, they cried too. That baby was perfect. She was the best thing in my life. She just radiated so much joy and comfort, i regretted ever not wanting her. That was perhaps the happiest day of my life.