36

It all happens so fast that i can hardly process anything. Lucia is just a blur as she lunges towards me. Her sword gleams as it arches towards my neck. I try getting up but then the cold sharp blade touches my neck. I freeze, thinking its over but then the blade clatters onto the table. Lucia is in Andrian's arms, unconscious. My eyes are wide and my heart beat frantic. I cannot believe that i would have died.

  There is a lot of commotion around me. King Lucas takes Lucia in his arms and has people get her to her room. Cheryl rubs my back and keeps whispering that i am ok. Catherine comes over and hugs me but i am too dazed to react to any of that. I feel suffocated. I feel like the life is being sucked out of me. I need to get fresh air. I am not able to breathe. I stand up on shakey legs and silently make my way out of the room.

  No one tries to stop me as i slowly make my way out of the room. My mind feels numb. I feel Andrian following me but i dint acknowledge his presence. I walk towards a window. I open it and close my eyes, breathing as much i can. I feel the cold breeze kiss me and i slowly start processing everything. I would have died if not for Andrian.

  He stood up and wrapped his arms around Lucia and then put her to sleep as her sword touced my neck. I dont even want to know the consequences he will suffer for using his powers on her. She might have him killed. Fear grips my heart at that thought. I cannot lose him. I turn around and come face to chest with him. I slowly look up to find him looking at me with concern evident in his eyes.

  "Why did you do it?" I whisper to him.

   "I couldnt let her kill you. I wont let anyone hurt you. No matter what the price. I cant lose you." He replies, the last words are not more than whispers. His words caress my very soul and i have never felt so safe and cared for. I put my arms around his neck and hug him like my life depends on it. He hugs me back just as fiercely.

    I inhale his intoxicating scent and lose myself to the feel of him. He feels solid and i feel safe and at ease in his arms. I dont ever want to let him go. Slowly, i hug him tighter and tighter. He does the same. We stay like that, pressed against eachother. I feel my heart skip a beat and feel tingles all over my body. I needed this. I need to feel this in order to know i am alive and i am safe. I will always need this.

   I dont know how long we stay like this. I lose sense of everything but him. He is all that matters. Someone clears their throat and Andrian lets go of me. I turn to see Catherine. I try not to feel disappointed with not bring in his arms anymore. Catherine smiles at me and then offers me her hand. I smile back and take her hand. We slowly start walking back towards the dining room.

   I turn around to look at Andrian. His eyes are already on me. The way he smiles while looking at me takes my breathe away. I feel my heart skip a beat again and quickly turn away, my cheeks heating up. I store the image of his smile in my head. That expression was priceless and god i love the way he was looking at me.

  "Are you ok?" Catherine whispers to me and i smile, i am more than ok all thanks to the silent vampire following behind us. The dining room is quite as we enter. King Lucas is standing next to Cheryl. Both of them turn to look at me as we enter. Edwin is still seated in his chair, staring at the table like he will burn it later. I let Catherine guide me into a seat, she sits beside me, still holding my hand. I feel comforted by her presence.

  "Your Majesty, i apologise for using my powers on Princess Lucia. It was not my intent to harm her." Andrian speaks, bowing his head. He looks and sounds like the soldier he was for centuries. King Lucas looks at him like he would like to burn Andrian for what happened but then Cheryl squeezes his hand and he nods at Andrian's apology. Cheryl turns towards me, giving me a kind smile. I hesitantly smile back at her.

  "Chantel i am afraid that this wasnt only a dinner. We have something really important to say to you." She says, her voice soft and gentle. I feel dread pooling in my stomach. Whatever she is going to say isnt going to be pleasant at all. I nod at her. King Lucas turns towards me and starts speaking.

  "I have ruled this kingdom for over 5 centuries. To attain this kingdom, i had to defeat Anois. I did it without considering that he had an elder brother. The elder brother was imprisoned was by Anois himself. Anois claimed that his elder brother was the worst monster this world would see. When i defeated Anois, his elder brother was released. I did not realise this until a few centuries ago. He has been gathering an army. An army of half-vampires.

   "For centuries i have been having them all killed. They werent only monsters but they were an army who could wipe out the entire human species and most of the vampire as well if we let them. Over the centuries the army has been growing all over the world. I do not know who is sireing them but i have a good guess that it is Anois' elder brother. He is a huge threat to the entire world and needs to be stopped.

  "This where you come in. You can infiltrate those armies and gather information for us. You wont loose yourself to bloodlust and i dont think you would like the idea of a psychopathic maniac trying to rule over the world. This makes you perfect for the task. They wouldn't hesitate to accept you as one of them."

  At this point, my head is spinning. Oh wow. So now i have to literally save the world. No wonder King Lucas kept me alive for all these years. He knew i could help him and be a weapon against his enemies. I felt a little used. But i couldnt expect anything else from vampires. And if what he said was true, i was going to do something good and save lives of many innocents.

  But it was scary to think what would happen if he was lying and he was the one who wanted to take over the world. What if Anois's elder brother was building an army to save the world from King Lucas. It could be a possibility. I couldnt trust whatever was said to me. I had to think this through. I needed time. So until i could find out waht was actually happening, i had to play along.

  "How are you so sure that they would welcome me without any problem?" I ask them.

  "They would do that because they dont know that i am your mother and also because who sired you." Cheryl said.

  "What do mean by who sired me?" I ask her, already scared of the answer.

   "Anois's elder brother, the one who wants to rule over the world, is your father. He is Caspian." Cheryl whipers to me.