29

Days turn into weeks that turn into months. No sign of Cheryl. At this point, i have accept that she is dead. I have to accept that she is not going to come back to me. Tears run down my cheeks and i wipe them away. Crying is not going to help or solve anything. I just feel so alone but more than that i feel angry. I feel so angry i want to set the world on fire. I dont want to feel so alone and helpless.

  Sweet laughter interrupts my thoughts. I look at Chantel even though she is just a year old, she looks like she is a three year old. It is because she is a half-vampire. But she seems completely harmless. She is watching some cartoon i dont know of. She seems happy. She is a very special child. Somehow her presence comforts me and makes me forget about my pains.

  She looks at me, laughing but when she sees the tear stains on my face, her expression grows somber. She walks towards me, a little unsteady. I kneel down as she walks towards me. When she reaches me, she puts her tiny arms around me.

  "Momma sad. No sad." She says in her childish voice. And i smile. She has always called me her mom and i dont bother correcting her. I am her mother. Looking at me smile, she becomes happy again. I hug her tightly against me. She reminds me so much of Cheryl. I watch at Chantel runs back to watch her cartoons. I sigh.

    I hear someone knock on the door and dad goes to answer it. A few seconds pass and then suddenly i hear my father's shout. I run into the living room to see two men standing outside our house. It doesnt take long for me to realise they are vampires. They snarl as they see me. I feel fear grip me. Dad turns around. He looks terrified.

  "Run! Take Chantel and-" His words are replaced by a scream as one of the vampire rips his heart out. I think i scream. But i dont remember. The vampires look at me and smile cruel smiles. But it is not me they look at. They look behind me. I turn to see Chantel. Her eyes are wide with fear and shock. The vampires were here for her.

  Mother had warned me about this. The vampires reach me within a second and one of them holds me by my neck while the other walks towards Chantel. I watch, completely frightened as the vampire bends down to pick Chantel up. But before he even touches her, he crumbles down on the floor, holding his head. Chantel is looking at him with such hatred and anger, it is terrifying.

  The other vampire leaves me and goes towards Chantel. But he is on the floor within seconds, screaming and holding his head.

  "You bad. You hurt grandpa." She tells them, almost yelling.

  What i see next, freezes my blood. Both the vampires are on fire. They scream and struggle but they dont stop burning. I watch them, frozen. Soon, they are turned to nothing but ashes. I look at Chantel. She does not look scared. She still looks angry. This is the first time i consider her to be more than a sweet child. She just killed two grown vampires without even knowing what to do.

  She is a child, only a year old. Yet she did this. She does not even seem afraid. She walks towards me, her eyes filled with unshed tears. She hugs me, silently weeping. I pat her head, still in shock. I pry her away from me and then start walking towards dad. He is lying motionless. I dont look at him. I cant look at him. I close the door to the house and go to all the rooms.

  I quickly gather mine and Chantel's clothes. I also take all the money there is. I go to the kitchen and switch on the stove but do not bother to light it up. I check on everything i have taken and pack more suitcases as the smell of gas fills the house. I take Chantel and the bags. I leave the house, locking the door behind me. I look at it one last time. And then i throw a lit matchstick inside through the open window.