28

The baby wasnt the sweet angle i had assumed she would be. She had a mind of her own. We hardly got any rest while she was awake. She was definitely a handful. But she was worth it. When she first opened her eyes and looked at Cheryl, i was scared Cheryl would break down. The baby had beautiful pale blue eyes. They looked like the sky in summer.

   Those eyes werent Cheryl's eyes. They were Caspian's. Cheryl looked into the baby's eyes, she looked so very overwhelmed. And then she laughed. She laughed loud and kissed the baby with tears rolling down her cheeks. She didnt hate Caspian for leaving, infact, she was thankful that he had given her the baby. She seemed very happy and content with her baby.

   But that didnt last long. The baby wasnt human. She had vampire venom running through her veins. While she was inside Cheryl, the baby had started consuming Cheryl. That is what vampires do. They are predators. The baby couldnt resist taking her blood. The baby had damaged some of her organs. Cheryl was slowly dying. And i didnt know what to do to change that.

  Some of mother's witch friends had come and cast spells on Cheryl. To heal her and make her live longer but she didnt have more than a week's time. I forcefully took her to a human doctor but he didnt have any medications or cure for Cheryl. Even though she was in constant pain, Cheryl was happy.

  She didnt let death get to her. Even though, she looked sickly pale and like a living skeleton, it didn't dim her shine. I stayed by her side all the time, getting her to eat and to rest while i took care of the baby. Soon she had begun to cough up blood. But even then, her smile didnt fade away. I admired her strength and love.

  The next day, while i was returning to the shed with food for mother and Cheryl, i heard shouting. I quickly ran inside, frightened and worried. Cheryl was standing up, she looked so frail, i was worried she might faint. Mother was standing opposite to her, holding the baby. Cheryl looked scared and yet angry, she had tears rolling down her face but mother looked peaceful.

  "What is happening here?" I ask them both.

  "Elena dear, it is nothing to worry about. My ancestors have sent me visions again. In my visions, i saw this sweet child growing up and becoming a fierce warrior. She defeated evil and brought peace. She is going to grow up to be a compendable and strong woman." Mother told me as she gazed adoring at the baby.

  I relaxed a little. That was good news. Then why was Cheryl so upset. Why was she crying. I slowly went to her and then started guiding her back to the bed. She didnt fight me. She sat down on the bed and glared at mother.

  "Tell Elena everything you saw in your visions mother." She told mom, her tone grim.

  "This child is a half-vampire. Half-vampires do not live a good life. They slowly start losing their mind and emotions until they are nothing but predators who want blood. They have been hunted down for centuries. This child will also face all those difficulties. She will either die an early death or she will lose her sanity and massacre innocents because of her blood lust. This needs to be prevented if she has to fulfill her destiny to defeat evil. We will have to make a little sacrifice so that she wont ever lose her sanity. It will control her blood lust and make her so strong that she will be hard to kill." Mother explained.

   It seemed reasonable but i didnt like that we had to make a sacrifice. I felt dread pooling in my stomach.

  "What do we have to do?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

   "You and Cheryl dont have to do anything. I must perform a ritual, i will make sure my granddaughter will prosper and wont suffer. I will sacrifice myself." She said with a smile.