Burnt

*i lost a few readers so thank you to those who are still reading. I'm definitely not complaining, I'm really just trying to tell you how thankful I am that you stick around. (: xx *

(Picture above gave me the idea so there you know what's about to happen ;D )

~~~

The second time that Harry woke was by the smell.

It was the smell of bacon and eggs... Burnt bacon and eggs.

Harry scrambled from the bed and into the kitchen, coughing when he entered a room thick with grey smoke.

"Louis?" He called out, not being able to see the small boy.

"Here! I'm here!" Louis wheezed, appearing in front of Harry, hand clutching his chest.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked, darting towards the oven to turn off the stovetop.

Louis was still coughing, so Harry opened the apartment door and began fanning it out. It didn't take long for the people on the floor to come out. There were five apartments on each floor, meaning all five doors were open.

There was the young girl with her daughter, an older woman who was very grumpy and only loved cats, an older dark-skinned woman with three children, and Niall. Everyone but the Irish lad was complaining when they found out it was the 'gamer boy' and his 'little boyfriend' causing the trouble.

Eventually, the smoke managed to clear out and everyone went back into their apartments except Niall, who joined the two in going back into Harry's apartment.

Louis was teary-eyed beyond belief. Harry's heart ached just looking at him.

"I'm sorry. I was trying to make you breakfast but... I'm not exactly the greatest cook," Louis explained, his voice hoarse.

Harry sighed and pulled Louis into a hug while Niall cleaned up the mess in the kitchen.

"What were you making?" Harry asked, sitting onto the couch and pulling Louis onto his lap.

"An... An omelet, s'all! I can't even cook an omelet!" Louis dug his face into Harry's neck.

"Baby, it's okay," Harry assured the smaller lad, running his own fingers gently against Louis's shivering spine.

"It's not okay! I always manage to ruin everything!"

Harry's body went rigid. He remembered feeling exactly like that. He remembered ruining everything for his mother and for one of the best friends he could ever have.

"Louis.... Do you... Do you hurt yourself in any way?"

Louis was surprised by the question. "N-no. Why?"

"Because.... Well, y'know about the scars," Harry mumbled shyly, scratching his thigh on habit.

"Yeah?"

"Well... A while ago... I-"

"Kitchen is clean!" Niall announced as he bounced into the living area, hands on his hips as if he was a superhero.

Harry was already pushing Louis gently onto the couch and dashing back to his bedroom. This wasn't good.

He could feel it. He could feel the pain and the sadness and everything from before. He could feel the depression sinking back into his veins.

~~~

"Harry?" Louis whispered, gently shaking the lad awake.

Harry grunted in response, rolling over and cringing when something dug into his side.