Chapter 9: The Tournament

Hitoshi Shinsou

  My first opponent is.. strange. He's just standing there, staring blankly.. will he even respond? Is this the hero course student everyone is talking about? The scary, creepy kid?

  "Hey. It must be nice to be in the hero course. What's your quirk? It must be so very heroic if you managed to ace the exams like the rumors say." I taunt.

  He says nothing. He just steps forwards, running at me. I desperately ask questions. Has he figured out my quirk already?

  Izuku Midoriya

  I run at Shinsou, pushing him back towards the line. He's going to punch me. I tilt my head back and he misses. I push on. He goes for a kick, which I jump over. I have to win this. I'm sorry Shinsou.

  I swing my fist, pushing him back and over the line.

  "Shinsou is out of bounds! Midoriya wins!" Midnight shouts.

  Shinsou looks down.

  "I'm sorry." I say. "But I have to win."

  Shinsou looked surprised.

  I turn and exit the arena, my clear mind filling with fog once more.

  Later

  It's my second match. I'm against Todoroki. Normally, I would aid him in the use of his fire. But not this time. The future is at stake, I need to stop the villains. I'm sorry Todoroki, I do not have the skill to beat you when using both sides, but I need to beat you.

  I stand facing Todoroki. He glares coldly. The start of the match is signalled, and I sprint forwards.

  Todoroki launches his ice at me, but I am able to evade it.

  ~An ice shard stabs through my torso.

  I step to the right to dodge the fatal blow.

  ~Another shard pierces my brain.

  I duck beneath it.

  ~Todoroki freezes my legs, immobilising me and ending the match.

  I jump over the spreading ice sheet.

  I race forwards, to my opponents surprise, pushing him back with the palm of my hand. He stumbles back, stopping a metre from the border.

  ~I see Todoroki freeze my arm and upper chest.

  I quickly pull my hand back.

  I sweep his legs out from under him, forcing him to scramble away to regain his footing.

  ~I win the match, Todoroki lying out of bounds.

  So I push him while he's off balance.

  Katsuki Bakugo

  Izuku is insane! He's dodging everything half and half throws at him! He's even beating him!

  I lean forwards, watching Todoroki fall over the border line.

  "In a battle of quirks.. Izuku's is almost unbeatable.." I mumble.

  When Izuku returns to the 1A seats the others congratulate him.

  "That was pretty cool Midoriya!"

  "So manly!"

  "Where did you learn to dodge like that?"

  "The darkness is strong in you."

  Izuku walks to his seat, sitting between round face and myself.

  "That was pretty awesome Deku." I tell him.

  He smiles a little, staring into space.

  "Thanks.." he mutters.

  "Couldn't save him.. needed to win.. sorry soba.. times running out.. tick tock.." Izuku starts to mumble.

  *Soba? Who's that? Mochi was round face, Aizawa was eraser.. who's soba? Nevermind, I'll figure it out later. We'll need to help them though, whoever they are.*

I turn back to the arena to watch glasses get thrown around the arena like an idiot.

Shota Aizawa

Midoriya is doing surprisingly well in the tournament. The normally quiet, unfocused boy is now leaping around the arena like a gymnast, defeating his opponents left and right. He easily dealt with Shinsou and Todoroki. He just defeated Iida with ease, pushing him out of bounds.

I sit back in my chair. How powerful is his quirk? Could he defeat anyone? How does his quirk work exactly?

There's a break now, to let the contestants rest, so I decide to check on my students. Hisashi is right, I am getting soft. I walk down the stairs, ignoring all the loud students around me. I round the corner, sensing a presence behind me. I turn, to be met with cold, emotionless eyes.

"Are you ready? The awards ceremony will be a blast." Izuku said, before walking away.

I head back to the announcer's booth, wondering what he could have meant.

"AND NOW, THE MOMENT YOUVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!! THE FINAL ROUND, BETWEEN KATSUKI BAKUGO, AND IZUKU MIDORIYA!! IT'S MIND VERSUS MIGHT IN THIS FIGHT, WHO WILL BE THE VICTOR???"