Hotel Room

Here's a new story! It's short, but it's still something. Also, I think Travis and Katie are the same age but I'm not sure. I think Travis is a Freshman in college in The Hidden Oracle (ToA), so I'm going to assume Katie was too.

Katie spent the entire car drive with her arms crossed, gazing out the window. Travis was commenting random jokes and telling her all about the epic pranks he pulls at college. He didn't seem to pick up the fact that she wasn't responding or even listening.

Katie and Travis both just finished their Freshman year at college. They both returned to Camp Half-Blood for the Summer just to be immediately sent on a stupid quest together. You would think being one of the older campers would give them more important roles, but nope.

They have to drive to a hotel and stay the night. In the morning, they have to find an ancient flower for Demeter that apparently has started growing again (how, Katie has no idea). It was also odd that only the two of them were sent on this quest, usually it's three. Katie assumed it was because she could identify the flower and Travis could steal it. Simple enough.

They pulled up at the hotel and Katie got out of the car. She grabbed her bag from the trunk and walked rapidly fast inside the building. She stood at the counter and waited for a worker to help her. A few minutes later, Travis came in with his bag.

"Jeez, Katie-Kat, you're impatient," he said with a smirk.

Katie glared at him. "I just want to get this over with."

A lady came to the counter and smiled at them.

"Hi, how can I help you today?" she asked.

"Hi, do you have any rooms available with two twin beds?" Katie asked.

The lady typed on the computer and looked up at Katie regretfully.

"I'm sorry, we only have a room with one queen bed available."

Katie glanced at Travis, and he looked uncomfortable. Katie sighed. They didn't have time to find another hotel, and as much as she didn't want to, they had to take the room.

"Okay, that's fine," Katie replied.

The lady gave them the key and they went up the elevator to find their room. Katie unlocked the door and stepped inside. The room was average looking, not super fancy, but not disgusting. It was simple but furnished nicely. Katie practically sprinted to the bathroom to take a shower. She wanted to avoid talking to Travis at all costs... she couldn't possibly hide her feelings for him anymore.

Yeah, they're looked at as enemies. But all year she has missed him more than ever, in a way that made her both happy yet terrified of seeing him again. Now, she's alone with him, trapped with the reality of her emotions. When she finished her shower, she came out to see Travis sprawled on the bed, his bag thrown carelessly on the ground. Katie scoffed and yanked a pillow off the bed. She checked the cabinets and found a spare blanket. She settled on the ground and closed her eyes, when a quiet voice called out to her.

"Katieeeee..." Travis said.

She groaned and sat up to face him. He was leaning on his arm, smirking at her from the bed.

"Why are you on the floor? There's space in the bed." Travis grinned.

"No, you idiot," Katie muttered. "I will never be that close to you."

Katie winced when she glimpsed a look of hurt in Travis' eyes. He didn't know the real reason, and she couldn't bare telling him. She would have to let him think the worst.

"Okay," he replied dryly. "Goodnight, Katie."

He turned around, facing the other way. Katie was shocked. He never called her just Katie, there was always some nickname involved. Katie sighed and laid down, drifting into a dream...

She woke up at Camp Half-Blood, in her bed in the Demeter cabin. Light poured through the windows, almost blinding her. She staggered outside to see a large group of campers standing in a circle. She pushed past them to the front, and gasped. Lying in front of her was Travis Stoll, with a spear through his stomach. She crouched down to him, and held his head in her hands. His eyes didn't open, he didn't make a sound.

"He's dead," Nico di Angelo announced, hovering over Travis' body.

Tears began streaming down Katie's face, and she started to scream. People either backed away from her, or ran to comfort her, but she pushed them away. She never told him how she felt about him, he didn't know how much she loved him.

He died thinking she hated him...

Katie sat up abruptly, panting and sweating. Tears were streaming down her cheeks and she was shaking, but she managed to stand up and face the bed, where Travis was turned in her direction. His eyes were closed, but his breathing was steady. Katie approached the bed.

"T-Travis?" she asked shakily.

His eyes fluttered open and his eyes widened. He bolted up. "Kates, what's wrong?"

"D-Dream," she stuttered. "Y-You d-died..."

Travis' eyes softened. He looked concerned, but didn't seem to know what to do. Katie lifted the blankets up on the bed and crawled into it. Travis was staring at her, but she didn't care. She laid close to him, but wasn't touching him. He gaped at her, and she turned the other way. A few seconds later, she felt arms slowly wrap around her. She pulled Travis' arms closer around her, and he settled next to her.

"Travis?" she whispered.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Please know that I don't hate you," she murmured. "I never have, and I never will. If anything, I really like you."

Katie glanced at him and he was beaming.

"I like you too, Kates," he replied. Katie smiled as she turned around and drifted off in Travis' arms.