Swear on the Styx

Okay, he's finally going to do it. Travis is going to ask Katie on a date. After he stopped directing his pranks specifically at her, and pranked her cabin less, she seemed open to a friendship. It's gone well, she even occasionally laughs at his jokes. Although things may not be perfect, Travis wasn't sure he could wait any longer.

During dinner, he gazed at her from the Hermes table. She was smiling, and making her younger siblings laugh. He was so lost in thought that he barely noticed his plate being picked up, and soon, Chiron was announcing the end of dinner.

"Go back to your cabins," Chiron declared. "Curfew is in an hour."

Campers began to stand, and Head Counselors shouted orders to leave the dining pavilion. Travis glanced at the head table, and saw that Chiron and Mr. D were no longer there. They left the pavilion unattended.

Travis scanned the crowd for Katie, but couldn't find her. Connor was frantically trying to gather up the Hermes campers while Travis stood on the table, squinting.

He gave up. "KATIE GARDNER!"

The whole dining pavilion fell silent, and Travis gulped. He was used to many eyes on him whenever someone beat him up for pranking them, but this was different. He called it on himself.

He noticed someone pushing through the crowd, and soon, standing in front of the table with her arms crossed was Katie.

"Yes?" she asked. She didn't seem angry, just confused. Travis wished everyone else would just go away, but he chose to do it like this. He had to continue. Go big or go home, right?

"Will you go to the fireworks with me?" he practically shouted. Katie's jaw dropped and people began whispering. The Aphrodite girls were squealing, covering their mouths and jumping up and down. But Travis was focused on Katie.

Her look of surprise melted into a stern expression.

"Nice try, Stoll," she muttered. "What a clever prank."

How did he not see that coming? Of course she would think he is pranking her, he always is. They've never really had a serious conversation before. Katie turned to walk away but Travis quickly jumped from the table, grabbing her arm and forcing her to face him.

"This isn't a prank," he said.

Katie huffed. "Sure."

Travis spoke louder. "Katie, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. I love how stupidly passionate you are about plants, and how you happen to know every single thing about them. I love how determined you are, and how you can be the sweetest camper yet not let anyone hurt you or your friends. You know when to be stern, but you're also one of the funniest people I've ever met. Whenever you don't feel like hating me, you always laugh. I know I don't deserve you, but will you please go to the fireworks with me?"

Katie looked like she was about to cry. Campers watched in awe at the one and only Travis Stoll's confession of love to the daughter of Demeter. Any other couple was more predictable than this one.

Katie kept her eyes locked on Travis', and his heart was pounding anxiously. What if she rejected him, in front of everyone? He would never hear the end of it.

Katie's voice was a little shaky, but she managed to speak. "S-Swear it on the Styx."

Travis blinked. "What?"

"Swear on the River Styx that is actually how you feel about me, and this isn't a prank." she whispered.

"I swear on the River Styx this is not a prank, and I mean everything I said." Travis replied. Thunder boomed in the distance.

Katie beamed. "Then, yes. I'll go with you."

Travis smiled, and wrapped Katie in a hug. Campers cheered and he saw an Aphrodite girl faint, but he couldn't think about anything else. When he pulled away, tears ran down Katie's face.

"I thought you hated me," she murmured.

"Never." Travis replied firmly.