Stolen Makeup Bag

Katie POV

On my 16th birthday, my gift from my mom was not what I expected. She said to open it in private, so I expected it to be some kind of magical item or plant my siblings would get jealous of. Instead, it was makeup. All sorts of makeup, worthy of more than five different routines. At first, I was confused, then I realized I had been sneaking glances at Miranda's collection for the past few weeks. I guess my mom really does pay attention sometimes. Maybe Aphrodite had something to do with it as well... a 16 year old girl without any makeup except for chapstick? That has to be one of her worst nightmares.

I hid my new bag of makeup under my bed and grabbed my luggage. I headed outside to the top of Half-Blood Hill where Argus was waiting for me, along with my boyfriend, Travis Stoll. He had already given me my present: a gold necklace with a winged shoe charm. It was really beautiful, and it made me feel like I always had him with me.

Travis kissed me and placed my luggage in the car.

"I can handle my own stuff!" I protested.

"I know," Travis replied, "but you shouldn't have to on your birthday."

He held my hands and stared at the ground. "Are you sure I can't come with you? It's your sweet sixteen, Katie. I want to spend today with you."

I smiled. "I know, Trav. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how my dad would feel about me showing up with a boy. I'll be back in a few days, and we can celebrate then. Does that sound good?"

He kissed my forehead and wrapped me in a hug. "Whatever you say, Katie-Kat."

I followed Argus into the car and we began the trip to my dad's house.

Travis POV

I understood Katie not wanting me to meet her dad yet, but I couldn't help but feel bitter as I watched the car drive away. I reminded myself that I couldn't be mad at my girlfriend on her birthday, so I decided to let it go and continue with the rest of my day. During archery, Miranda, Katie's half-sister, came to talk to me.

"Hey, Travis, do you know if Katie took her special gift from Demeter with her to her dad's house?" she asked.

I shrugged. "No, she didn't mention it."

Miranda nodded, her eyes wandering anxiously.

"You're not seriously trying to find it while she's gone, are you?" I asked. "Don't you dare try to take it for yourself."

Miranda scoffed. "I would never do that! Mom and Katie would hate me. I just want to know what it is, that's all."

I put my bow on the ground. "Alright, I'll help you look. Only to make sure you find it and leave it as it is."

"All of a sudden you Hermes kids have rules now, huh?" Miranda said.

I rolled my eyes.

As Miranda and I walked around camp, she told me all of the places she had looked.

"Hold on..." I interrupted. "Did you check your own cabin?"

Miranda gulped. "Oops."

I scowled and began walking in the direction of the cabins. "We're really switching godly parent traits today."

When we got inside the Demeter cabin, I was assigned Katie's bathroom basket. Apparently the Demeter kids have very strict rules about the privacy of their toiletries, but I wasn't sure if Katie would approve of me looking through them. As I searched through my girlfriend's unreasonable amount of face cleansers, I heard a gasp from the area of Katie's bed. I walked from the bathroom to see Miranda sitting on the ground, staring at a bag. I walked up next to her.

"What?"

Miranda unzipped the bag. "I found it. It's makeup."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. "Katie doesn't wear makeup."

"Exactly. This is the gift." Miranda replied.

I was still confused. Demeter would obviously only get Katie something she wants, so why would she want makeup? She always talked about how the Aphrodite girls wore too much, and how she never wanted to look "fake". She never showed any interest in one makeup product, and she was so beautiful without it. Call me overprotective, but I didn't want Katie feeling like she had to cover up her face.

Miranda shrugged. "I have makeup, I have nothing to be jealous of I guess." She zipped the bag. Before she could push it back under the bed, I kicked it away from her, and ran to pick it up. She raised her eyebrows. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Stealing her makeup," I replied. "Now shut up about it."

"Fine." Miranda said. She crashed onto her own bed and began reading a gardening magazine. Before she could change her mind, I sprinted out the door.

Katie POV

I love my dad, don't get me wrong, but three days at his house was enough. When Argus pulled into the driveway, I almost sighed of relief. I said goodbye to my dad and my step-mom and drove back to camp with Argus.

When we arrived, my dorky boyfriend was grinning right at the top of the hill. When I got out, he picked me up and spun me around in a hug. I kissed him before he set me down.

"I was only gone three days, Stoll." I said.

Travis smiled. "It felt like forever."

I agreed to let Travis take my luggage. Yes, I like to show that I'm independent, but I was too exhausted to carry it myself. Travis on the other hand was bubbling with energy. We walked to the Demeter cabin where Travis set my luggage on my bed. My watch said it was 2:35 P.M., which meant my siblings were at an art class. Travis sat on my bed, and I peeked under it for my makeup bag. I expected to catch a glimpse, but when I didn't, I kneeled on the ground and looked closer. Nothing.

"Everything okay, Kates?"

I looked up. "My gift from my mom is gone."

Travis observed his hands. "What was it?"

"A makeup bag," I replied.

Travis sighed and leaned forward, his eyes staring directly into mine. "Katie, you know you're beautiful, right?"

I nodded. "Uh, I guess."

"You don't need makeup," he continued, "I don't want you to think you have to cover anything up."

I smiled. I sat down on the bed next to the son of Hermes and held his hand. "Trav, did you steal my makeup bag?"

"No," he said. He met my gaze. "Yes."

I laughed. "Thank you for checking on me, Stoll, but I'm fine. I just thought it would be fun to experiment with makeup. Girls don't just wear it because they're insecure, sometimes they just want to play around with it and learn how to use it."

Travis tilted his head. "Huh?"

I laughed again as he laid his head in my lap and I began playing with his curls. "Can I have my makeup bag back now?"

Travis smirked. "No."

this was inspired by something that happened to one of my older sister's friends a few weeks ago :) 

hope you enjoyed! if so, make sure to vote, comment, and follow. thank you!