Panic Attack

Ok so this is a really basic idea but it's super cute so I'm writing it anyway :) Also thank you so much for 200+ reads! And if you are unaware, Lou Ellen is a daughter of Hecate and Harley is a son of Hephaestus.

*WARNING, if you are sensitive to descriptive panic attacks, do not read this.

Katie POV

To the other campers, this may just seem like another day where Katie Gardner gets humiliated by the Stoll brothers and lashes out at them for being immature. However, as I stood there, covered in mud, with the sound of laughter echoing in my ears and fingers being pointed in my direction, I didn't feel like yelling. Some people may think I'm uptight, that I can't take a joke... but that's not the case.

I blinked, trying to get a grip on reality. It seemed like slow motion as my eyes scanned the crowd of campers, laughing at me. My eyes fell on Connor and Travis Stoll, who were having the time of their life. I don't yell at them because I hate them, but they wouldn't understand.

My mind shot into flashbacks I've been trying to avoid. I stood at my mortal elementary school, in 1st Grade, where a boy in my class had ripped my short story into shreds. Outside the classroom, in front of every student, he tormented me on how pointless my extra work is, how I'm a suck up to the teachers and trying to make the rest of them look bad. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and little did I know then that he would continue the rest of the year, humiliating me every single day. Who knew such a young kid could be so cruel.

I forced myself back to the present, forced to deal with the feelings washed over me once again, years later. My heart thudded in my chest. I could feel myself hyperventilating, forcing me to take slow and shaky breaths. My mind grasped focus on the pounding blood in my ears. I began to shiver, although the mud was quite warm. My throat became dry, and tears started streaming down my face. Too many parts of me were fighting, I wasn't sure how much longer I could go before I shattered into pieces.

I wiped mud off of me, and started down the steps of my cabin. I crossed my arms over my churning stomach, and started towards the lake to wash off. I put my head down as I heard people beginning to whisper, ceasing the laughter.

"KATIE!" a voice called. It sounded like Travis, but I didn't respond. He couldn't see me like this.

When I got to the lake, I didn't hesitate. I walked right in, washing as much mud as I could off of me. I pulled myself up on the dock and hugged my knees. I cried, my hands shaking frantically. My mind was wandering, memories of the past being shoved right at me like giant boulders, one after another.

I buried my head against my knees as I heard someone sitting next to me. I didn't bother looking up, no one has ever been able to help me during a panic attack. Especially not one so put off, one filled with years of dread and embarrassment.

"Katie?" a small voice asked. It took all my energy, but I lifted my head up. Although I was a little dizzy, I could make out Travis looking at me. His blue eyes looked oddly different. Usually they're gleaming with amusement and mischief, but at that moment, they looked concerned.

"Go away," I managed. I wanted to shove him into the lake, but I didn't have the strength.

"I'm good," Travis replied. He stared out to the water and smirked. "I don't think you heard. Yesterday, Connor and I crushed all of Drew's powdered makeup. It was funny for a little, before she used charmspeak to get us to give her money for replacements."

My mind put together the scene, Drew finding all of her favorite blushes and eyeshadow palettes destroyed. It was difficult, but I smiled.

"The day before that, I had Lou Ellen enchant a night light to never turn off and had Harley install it in the Hades cabin. When Nico found out I was responsible, he sent a ghost army after me. If Will hadn't calmed him down, I could've died... just for a little tiny night light." Travis added.

I laughed again, my grip of my knees loosening. I dropped my feet towards the water and crossed my arms. "Y-You shouldn't prank N-Nico..." I said shakily.

"I know," Travis replied, "but his reactions are the best... and scariest."

I took a deep, clear breath. When I looked back at Travis, his eyes were on me again. He had a small smile on his face but his eyes were still full of concern.

"Kates I'm sorry," he said. "You've never reacted that way, I don't know what happened. You don't have to tell me, but I'll lay off the pranks."

"No," I replied. "It's okay."

I told him what I've never told anyone at camp before. The reason I became a stuck up, lecturing girl who apparently doesn't let anyone else have any fun. I confessed about how I was bullied so much in the 1st Grade that I had panic attacks, and how for some stupid reason I've never been able to let go of that feeling of hopelessness.

Travis was quiet. He stared at the water. "You should've told me," he said at last. "I never would've pranked you so often if I'd known. But I understand it was hard for you to talk about, and I'm not exactly your favorite person."

I shrugged. "You're a son of Hermes, I don't blame you for your natural ways. Plus, I'm the one who can't get over some childhood bully. I need to move on. And you could be one of my favorite people if we could spend time together without arguing."

I stood up, and Travis followed. He grinned, the gleaming look in his eyes returning. "I volunteer to teach the one and only Katie-Kat Gardner to be more chill and cool... like me."

I shook my head, smiling. "In your dreams, Stoll."

"Come on!" he wailed. He gave me his best puppy dog eyes, and held out his arm. "Shall we call it a date, m'lady?"

I rolled my eyes, but linked my arm through his. "Why not, m'lord?"