You're All I Have

Thank you so much for 300+ reads and all the comments and votes! This part is random but I thought it was a good "shared trauma" couple thing hahaha. Anyways, if you have any requests please comment below or send me a message! I've been writing some more unique ideas down, but they may take longer to get uploaded. 

BTW in this part, almost everyone from camp died in the war with Gaea :(

Katie ran. She ran as far as she could from the place she used to call home. When you discover you're a demigod, you're warned of where your life will most likely go, but for some reason she thought she was an exception.

She lost everyone. Well, almost everyone. They managed to defeat Gaea, but most of the campers either died during or after the war from their battle wounds. Katie managed to spend a week alone in the Demeter cabin before breaking. Not one of her half-siblings survived. Even her enemy, Travis Stoll, was gone. She prayed to the gods he wasn't dead. After losing his younger brother, Connor, Travis disappeared right after the funeral tributes. Chiron tried to convince her he probably just went home to his mom, but Katie was still skeptical. If there's one lesson from this war she's been able to admit to herself, it's been that the Stolls really weren't that bad. Travis sometimes looked out for her, and Connor secretly helped her clean up a few pranks. But they're both gone. It's too late now.

She tried to cope by going through her normal day to day activities, but suddenly her favorite place at camp, the strawberry fields, became a reminder of the loved ones she lost. She called her dad, but he didn't care. He said there was no room for her to come home. So she ran away.

With no things, no plans, Katie ran from camp. She grew tired, but it barely mattered. Why did she have to live? Wouldn't dying be much easier?

Stop it, she told herself, your siblings wouldn't want you to think that way.

That was the only thing keeping her going. Everyone at camp had been avoiding each other, it was too hard. Percy and Annabeth locked themselves in the Poseidon cabin. The remaining Ares kids took it upon themselves to bring campers their meals if they didn't want to go to the pavilion, because with the war god as your father, you probably cope with the aftermath of war better than the others.

Katie pushed low, sagging tree branches out of her way and raced into a clearing. She choked back a sob. In front of her was a tree house, painted to blend in with its surroundings. However, any child of Demeter would recognize it immediately. Katie and Miranda led the construction years ago, but now Katie was the only one left. Her hand closed over the necklace Miranda had given her only a year ago, and she ripped it off. She chucked it away, wishing she could forget everyone and everything. Start over... maybe go back in time and find a way to save everyone? She wished it were possible.

Katie looked up at the darkening sky, and staggered to the tree house to spend the night. With shaky hands, she grasped the ladder firmly and made her way up slowly. Her legs trembled and ached, and she whimpered as she put pressure on her sprained ankle. She managed to pull herself into the house, when she froze. A figure was sitting in the corner. It was a boy, sobbing. He was shaking, his legs wrapped firmly around his knees and his head buried against them. Katie noticed a large jug of water next to him, along with a bag and a small dagger made from Celestial bronze.

For a second, Katie had a small hope that one of her brothers were alive. That hope quickly died when she realized all of her brothers were far younger, therefore much smaller than this boy.

"H-Hello...?" she said quietly. The boy looked up, and he didn't even reach for his dagger. Katie had to squint to see him properly. His curly brown hair almost completely hid his eyes, but when she found them, her heart leapt. She would recognize the blue eyes of a Stoll anywhere. Although at this moment, they looked lost, like their identity had been taken. Travis Stoll didn't look mischievous, or sneaky. He was trembling, and all she wanted was for him to smirk and call her any nickname that she hates.

"Katie?" he asked.

Any happier version of herself would've slapped him for making her believe he was dead, but she didn't feel like it. She crawled over to him and wrapped her arms around him. He seemed reluctant for a second, then gave in. He sobbed into her shoulder and her arms tightened around him. After only a few seconds, she began to cry too. After awhile, they cuddled next to each other, gazing at the stars through the window.

"What are you doing here, Katie-Kat?" he asked.

The nickname, for the first time in her life, made her smile. Her entire face ached from crying so much, and the smile felt so new, so different.

"I ran away." she replied simply.

"I think we should both head back to camp tomorrow." Travis said softly.

Katie nodded. She wanted to say sorry about Connor, but she knew that was no use. The comfort was being with each other, nothing else. Words couldn't heal them.

"Katie?" Travis said.

"Yeah, Trav?" she replied. She looked up at him and gazed into his eyes. They were full of pain, almost identical to the pair that had stared into the mirror at her for seven days.

"W-We're going to get through this," he whispered, "together, right?"

Katie realized there was always this care for each other, lost in a hurricane of hatred. Now the waves and winds have ceased, and the care has been discovered.

"We'll try," she answered. "You're all I have."