No More Yelling [Pt. 1]

Thank you so much for the reads! Part 2 will be out tomorrow. Also, I started a new story, Percy Jackson One-Shots. For more information, head to my profile! Two parts are already uploaded :)

KATIE

Katie was busy scraping the melted chocolate off the Demeter cabin's roof. She had just finished doing her daily screaming at the Stoll brothers, Travis and Connor. Her siblings were helping as well. Travis and Connor had put chocolate bunnies on the roof the night before, and by morning, melted chocolate was dripping off the side. It was the second time they've done this exact prank.

Katie yells at them almost everyday. Mostly to Travis, though... they've always had a weird relationship. Sometimes Connor just stands in the back with the crowd while she shouts at Travis. He always smirks and calls her annoying nicknames like 'Katie-Kat' or 'Kit Kat'. Another nickname, 'Kates', only comes during serious conversations, which they rarely have. Only if he thinks something is wrong, and she never ends up telling him. Even if he's cute- no. He's not. Never mind.

Katie shook the thoughts out of her head. Her half-sister, Miranda, crawled next to her.

"Quite the screaming this morning, Katie," Miranda commented.

Katie rolled her eyes. "It's nothing new."

Miranda sat thoughtfully as Katie handed their brother, Max, her bucket of chocolate to take to the trash.

"You know, they always prank us," Miranda added. "But sometimes just you specifically. Don't kill me... but I think Travis likes you."

Katie laughed, a very genuine laugh. The thought made butterflies swirl in her stomach, but he hates her. Or, just dislikes her, hopefully. He enjoys pranking her almost every single day, and anyone who does that much bad stuff to a person can't possibly have romantic feelings for them.

"No way." Katie responded.

"Okay, let's test my theory," Miranda countered. "If I were Travis, and I liked you, I would prank you often so you would give me attention. When do you give Travis attention?"

"My daily screaming," Katie replied. What Miranda was saying made sense in a different "friends to more" relationship, but Katie and Travis are natural enemies. When he looks out for her, she just pushes him away because she knows he just wants the gossip to spread around and make her life miserable.

"Yes, so the next time they prank you, don't freak out." Miranda said, with an evil smile on her face.

Katie scoffed, then laughed. "Fine, M. You win."

Miranda crawled back to her bucket.

NIGHTTIME - TRAVIS

Yes, Travis and Connor had watched happily from the Hermes cabin the day before when the entire Demeter cabin was scraping chocolate off of their roof for hours. Travis mostly watched Katie. Her brown hair was pulled into a ponytail with two strands of hair falling in her face. Despite the labor, she smiled and laughed with her siblings while they cleaned it. The Demeter kids looked annoyed, but not especially angry. Travis assumed that was because they worked outside in the strawberry fields all day, so the heat and raging sun doesn't affect them. That night, Travis asked Connor to strike the Demeter cabin again. More specifically... Katie. Her lecture that morning was fierce, but not long. It was different, more like she didn't want to yell at them. Like she was tired of it.

Travis has had a crush on Katie for a couple of years. After going through two wars together, he found himself caring for her even more. He pranks her for her attention, the only time they talk is when she's yelling at him. Other than that, she avoids him. He can't blame her, what he does to her is pretty terrible, because it's so consistent. But he can't let his outlet of connection with her be ruined, so he decided to infuriate her even more. Him and Connor snuck into the Demeter cabin that night. Travis kept watch while Connor snuck pink hair dye into Katie's shampoo.

Travis' eyes fell on a sleeping Katie. She had a slight smile on her face, but she looked fast asleep. As Travis looked around, he was surprised to see how peaceful the Demeter kids were. None of them looked like they were having nightmares. Almost every night, Travis, as Head Counselor, would have to comfort someone in the Hermes cabin. One time he caught Katie watching them through her window, but she quickly rolled her eyes and looked away when he smirked at her.

Katie's hair was tangled, and some fell down her face. Travis wanted to brush it away, but he couldn't risk waking her up.

"Dude, stop staring at her!" Connor whispered forcefully. Travis turned to his brother.

"I-I was just making sure she was sleeping..." Travis lied.

"You're so in love with her." Connor claimed, smirking and running out of the Demeter cabin. Travis took one last look at Katie and went to kill Connor.

THE NEXT MORNING - KATIE

Katie woke up and got ready for the day. First, she took a shower. There, she found the Stolls' prank. She learned to check her shampoo and conditioner every shower, because her hair has been every color of the rainbow thanks to Travis and Connor. She found pink hair dye. She decided to use it on the tips of her hair, but not all of it. When she dried it, she really liked it. It matched her green eyes well, it made her look like a flower herself. Okay, that's weird. Anyways, she looked pretty.

She put on a white crop top with a brown leather jacket and black jeans. She put on her white checkered vans and rounded up her cabin. The breakfast bell sounded, and she led the Demeter cabin out to the dining hall.

TRAVIS

"Wake up, Head Counselor!" Connor shook him awake. Travis fell out of bed and hit his head on the floor.

"OW!"

"You didn't wake up the cabin, we have to go to breakfast in a few minutes." Connor complained.

That's when Travis remembered their prank on Katie. He doesn't set alarm clocks on days that he pranks her because she's always up bright and early to yell at him. He knows that she always showers right when she wakes up, so he was confused as to why he didn't hear the "STOLLS!" scream.

"Sorry, I thought Gardner would wake us up," Travis mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, she probably just didn't shower yet." Connor replied, shrugging.

Travis' half-sister, Leia, stood at the window. "Look, she's right there."

Travis ran to the window. Katie's hair was pink. But only some of it, like highlights. It looked so even, it was done so perfectly. Katie was smiling and holding hands with her six year old half-sister, Marlee. The Demeter cabin followed behind her. Somehow, the new hair made Katie look even prettier.

Crap, Travis thought. That makes everything worse.

He turned and was about to ask Connor about it, when he realized he had to lead the Hermes cabin to the dining pavilion. Right now, Connor was rounding up the Hermes and unclaimed kids, doing Travis' job. He stepped in to help.

When they finally arrived at breakfast, they were five minutes late. Travis sat down and watched Katie at the Demeter table. Miranda was braiding Katie's hair, touching the pink tips and whispering something to her. Katie rolled her eyes and ate a strawberry.

Connor nudged him. "Dude, you look like a stalker."

Travis realized everyone at the Hermes table was staring at him. He focused on his pancakes. "Hmm?"

Connor laughed. "You like her, bro. Just ask her out."

Travis looked at his younger brother in disbelief. "It's Katie. She hates my guts, and for a reason."

"The constant pranks?" Connor asked innocently.

"Yep," Travis replied, "but she won't talk to me otherwise, so I have to keep doing them. But today, she didn't even mention it to us? She's just sitting over there, pretty and all-"

Connor was staring at him wide-eyed. "You don't like her. You love her, and you're desperate." Connor concluded.

Travis scoffed, but on the inside, he knew Connor was right. He's desperate for her.