fourteen

double update from me to you because it is my birthday!! enjoy xo

~

Halloween night was slightly very terrifying despite Draco's reluctance on agreeing. During the Halloween Feast, Sirius Black had gotten into Hogwarts and tore up the Fat Lady portrait because she wouldn't let him into Gryffindor Tower. The Gryffindors had to spend their night in the Great Hall as their House was now unprotected. The first Quidditch game was horrible, as well, as Harry Potter fell off his broom from almost fifty feet.

The best part of the last two months was the Hogsmeade trips I had gone on with Pansy. Since the Malfoys were my legal guardians, they had signed off for Draco and me to go to the Hogsmeade trips. But quickly, end of term exams came along and I was determined to get the highest marks and practically lived in the library.

Sitting in the far corner of the library, alone, I had a mountain of books surrounding that ranged from dark spells for Defense to different plants in Herbology. Draco was busy with Crabbe and Goyle so I was, thankfully, by myself. The next day was the beginning of exams meaning I had to cram everything I needed to know by tonight.

My studying was going good until there was something blocking my light. Looking up, I groaned and slightly closed my book.

"Need something, Granger?" I asked and gave her a horrified look as she took the seat next to me. "My inquiry was not an invitation."

"Do you have a pen I can borrow? Or a pencil?" she said.

I raised my brow, "no, actually. I don't. I don't use pens anymore."

"Ha!" Granger exhaled and shot up, earning a shush from Madam Pince, the librarian. "I knew it."

"Knew what?" I asked, sitting up straighter. "Knew what, Granger?" I said slowly as a triumphant look spread on her face.

"You," she smirked and then lowered her voice, "You're not a pureblood witch like you say you are."

"What in the bloody hell are you going on about?" I snapped. "I'm not one of your stupid little friends that'll laugh at your not-so-funny jokes!"

"You know, Ward," Granger sat down again and leaned towards me, "I was quite suspicious as of last year. Between your disdain to the muggleborn slur along with the odd arguments that Harry and Ron have told me about, I decided to keep a closer eye on you."

"A closer eye on me? You were petrified for two and a half months and seemed to have books so far up your—"

"Miss Ward, need I remind you this is a library, not the courtyard!" Madam Pince came around as I began to raise my voice.

"Sorry, Madam Pince," I mumbled and shot Granger a dirty look.

"Anyways," Granger said once the librarian had left, "I observed the way you carried yourself versus how all of the other pureblood Slytherins carried themselves and you're much kinder— not by much, but it's slightly noticeable," she added as I narrowed my eyes at her.

"So what? Because I'm nice and hate slurs I'm suddenly a muggleborn?" I scoffed. "Please, Granger, with ideas like that, I'm surprised your top of our year."

This hit her hard and Granger's eyes narrowed angrily at me, her voice growing sharp, "I've done my research on you, Adelaide Ward. The only Adelaide Ward in the muggle world was born to Angela Ward and Andrew Dalus in Woodbridge, England. But checking in the wizarding world, Adelaide Ward is a pureblood orphaned witch who is currently being fostered by the Malfoys and has no background besides that."

"So there are two different Adelaides? And? I was born in America, Granger," I said, blowing her off.

"Ward, I know your secret," Granger said quietly. "You are a muggleborn witch, like me, and are lying, unlike me, about your blood status. Why?"