forty-two

In the last two weeks, Draco and I have been acquainted with the free Death Eaters, which— surprisingly— included Professor Snape. Slowly, my fear of Bellatrix, or Bella as she had allowed me to call her since receiving the Dark Mark, had subsided as the fear I had for the Dark Lord overrode it. During the Death Eater meetings, Lord Voldemort never gave Draco any help on how to bring the death of Dumbledore but spoke about different ways to take over Hogwarts.

Trying to hit two birds with one stone, Draco and I tried to make a plan on how to get both plans going. Then after days of coming up with ideas, Draco remembered a cabinet Montague told him about last year and it's ability. After asking a few of our house guests, we figured out there was a matching one at Borgin and Burkes during the summer before our second year. Together, we decided to pay Mr Borgin a visit during our trip to get our supplies for our sixth year.

Narcissa was extremely reluctant on allowing Draco and I to go to Diagon Alley, but after constant reassurance, we were allowed. She had gotten extremely cautious of Draco and me, feeling guilty for allowing us to receive the mark. What she didn't seem to understand was that we hadn't a choice, her's or our's. I was constantly reassuring Narcissa with kind words and reassurance, but Draco only became colder with his mother.

Finally, it was time to go to Diagon Alley for our supplies. Pulling my cardigan over myself, I walked alongside Draco through the road. Looking around, I noticed the colorful, glittering window displays of spellbooks, potion ingredients, and cauldrons were lost to view, hidden behind the large Ministry of Magic posters that had been pasted over them. Most of these somber purple posters carried blown-up versions of the security advice on the Ministry pamphlets that had been sent out over the summer, but others bore moving black-and-white photographs of Death Eaters known to be on the loose.

"I reckon we ought to get new robes," I said quietly to Draco. "You've grown a few inches."

"Hm, I suppose," he said curtly.

Draco's attitude had sharpened since our initial agreement and I've grown tired of him. Narrowing my eyes slightly at him, I pulled his sleeve down and whispered harshly, "lose the attitude, Draco. I don't need shit from you, too."

"Draco, Adelaide, no fighting," Narcissa's icy voice called from behind us.

"Yes, ma'am," I said and made my way to Madam Malkin's.

As the gentleman he is, Draco opened the door for his mother and me. The three of us made our way over to the rack of dress robes in spangled green and blues.

"Good afternoon," said Madam Malkin, the owner of the shop.

I gave her a nod in agreement as the two Malfoys ignored her.

"These are nice," said Narcissa pulling out a long plain dark green robe. "Draco, these are quite dashing."

"Lady and I can get our robes and then the both of us, without you, need to go do something," Draco said, his eyes narrowing at his mother.

The something had to do with our plan to go see Mr Borgin, but she didn't know that.

"Draco, it is not safe for either of you to go about Diagon Alley by yourselves," she said sternly as Madam Malkin pulled him over to the trifold mirrors. "Especially with everything going around— I'd feel safer if I stayed with you on your adventures."

I took the seat near the mirrors and watched the seamstress tailored Draco's robes as Narcissa continued to feather through the rack for robes for Draco and me. Draco rolled his eyes and glared squarely at his mother over the clothing and said, "We're not children anymore, in case you haven't noticed, Mother. I am perfectly capable of doing my shopping alone, with Lady."