twenty-eight

After telling Draco what Harry had said to me, he was beyond furious. I tried my hardest to make sure to not infuriate Lucius or Narcissa as they both seemed extremely stressed, so Draco and I stayed in our rooms.

I was about to ask Draco if he had finished his summer work when a brown owl came knocking at the study window. Laughter flew out of my chest at the sight of the bird with a large roll of parchment on his talon.

"Another bloody owl," mumbled Draco as he opened the window, grabbed the parchment, and threw it straight into the fire.

"Draco!" I laughed.

"What?" he said mocking me.

"That could have been important," I shook my head.

"It was Pansy," he sighed.

"Tired of your little girlfriend already?" I tried to not laugh, but I failed tremendously.

"Shut up, Ward," he muttered and threw a pillow at me.

Draco and I fell into another comfortable silence and decided to finish the last of our summer assignments. There was only two weeks left for summer holidays and usually we would have already finished our work by then, but with the tense tension in the Manor, it was hard to concentrate.

The Malfoys told us to stay in our rooms and to not wander too much about the Manor. Draco warned me that all levels in the South Wing were off limits to him, more or less to me. I never really walked the halls of the Manor, only sticking to the West Wing where I resided.

"You know," I said aloud to Draco, "you never gave me a tour of the Manor."

"Really?" he said, not looking up from his Potions assignment.

"Draco, give me attention," I whined.

"Don't do that," he cringed, finally looking up, "you sound like Pansy."

I let out a loud laugh and wrinkled my nose at him.

"Give me a tour," I said. "I know your parents have to us to not wander, but I think walking around the West and North Wing will be fine, yeah?"

With a beaming smile, Draco finally caved and we made our way into the corridor. Per usual, it was empty and dark. With a wave of his wand, Draco illuminated the candles. Despite any wizard or witch under the age of seventeen not allowed to use magic, there are so many wards and protections on the Manor, that the Ministry of Magic never gets any signal of underaged magic. I don't dare to do magic during the summer, not even little illuminating or summoning spells.

Draco pointed at the different decorations on the walls and explained who each portrait was. I greeted all of the Malfoy families politely and they seemed to love me.

"Draco, darling, don't lose that girl, she's quite poised and, most importantly, pureblooded," his great-great grandmother said.

Giving her a weak smile, I felt my stomach flip for two reasons: One, her insinuation of our relationship, and, two, her thoughts of the most important thing about me being my blood status.

Walking further down the hall, we made a right turn, which I knew was the North Wing. The North Wing held all of the ballrooms and extra studies, it wasn't used much meaning it was dark and cold. But as we came up to one of the studies, bright shined from under the door and hushed voices could be heard.

"— need to keep the children safe, Lucius," Narcissa's sharp voice could be heard from behind the door.

"In two years they will no longer be children," Lucius's voice was much sharper than hers and cold. "And you mustn't forget that Adelaide, as much as you love her, is not your daughter."