fifty-eight

The second term of seventh year wasn't any better than the first. Between the Carrows locking down on harder detentions and Snape disappearing every other day, the tension within the castle walls was thick. Even Peeves stayed out of the way. A new addition to the castle was the arrival of Dementors. It was like being in third year once more.

Dementors were placed at every entrance, not allowing anyone to leave. Cares of Magical Creatures lessons had been cancelled due to their presence. The corridors were extra cold despite the warming of the weather as the year progressed to early spring.

The only thing that didn't change was exams. The professors continued to urge fifth years to study for O.W.L.s and seventh years to continue following their lessons for N.E.W.T.s. I couldn't wrap my head around the bits of normalcy that was left at Hogwarts. The school was no longer the fun castle I longed to go to since age eight, but turned into a place I dreaded to be in.

Draco and I were never apart anymore due to the fact he was terrified of the Dementors. Last time we were in their presence, almost four years ago, we were petrified, it was even worse now as they were closer on the grounds.

One day, I had gotten so stir crazy from being locked up in the castle, I, very impulsively, ran through the entrance hall and out to the grounds. I was greeted by four Dementors. Despite me being on their side, technically, they didn't take too kindly to me. It was cold, and I felt the hopelessness and the despair of the Dementors around me.

Pulling out my wand, I thought of my happiest memory, playing in the snow with Draco, and bellowed out the Patronus Charm, watching as my little silvery bumblebee went through the air, threatening to sting any Dementor that got too close to me. A new warmth was set around me, but quickly disappeared as I heard a shouting from behind me.

"What are you doing?" she said sternly.

Spinning around, I heard the pop of my disappearing silvery bumblebee as I stood in front of a very angry Professor McGonagall.

"Hello, Professor," I said meekly.

"Why are you going out of the castle? The grounds are forbidden, Miss Ward," McGonagall scolded me.

"I felt trapped in the castle, I needed fresh air and— but Dementors came around and I—" I felt frustrated at the fact that I couldn't produce a proper sentence to explain myself.

McGonagall sighed deeply and gave me an irritated expression, "you have lost yourself ten points for Slytherin, Miss Ward, and I should send you to the Carrows to disgust detention but— You mustn't wander, it is unsafe, even for you."

"I know, ma'am, I apologize," I said softly, looking down.

I did feel bad. I didn't like to break rules, especially under the reign of the Death Eaters. Professor McGonagall must have pitied me for she placed a hand on my shoulder, causing me to look up.

"You need to stay more careful. Follow through with your Head Duties and make sure to properly study for your exams," she said in a caring voice, despite her stern face. "Even in dark times, there is room for change."

With that, McGonagall waved her wand and motioned the doors to slam close. Taking the hint to leave, I made it back down the stairs towards the dungeons. Slipping into the common room, I was met with Blaise and Pansy looking awfully cosy with one another.

"Hullo," I said softly at the pair.

"Hi, Lady," Pansy answered kindly.

Blaise looked at me with a still face and finally said, "hello, Adelaide."

A small smile fell on my lips at his response. It hadn't been a snap at me. Deciding it was safe, I took the armchair across from the sofa they were cuddled up in.