sixteen

Walking back from Hagrid's hut from Cares class, I walked alone and slowly behind the tetrad. Harry, Weasley, Granger, and Kemper stayed behind to talk with Hagrid, who had been mad with despair since the verdict of Buckbeak's execution later tonight.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied," Hagrid blubbered. "They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."

"There's still the appeal later tonight!" said Weasley fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

"S'no good, Ron," said Hagrid sadly as we reached the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..."

Hagrid turned around and hurried back toward his cabin, just after seeing me and jumping.

"I'm sorry about your Hippogriff, sir," I said softly.

Hagrid said nothing as he buried his face in his handkerchief.

"It's all your fault," Granger shouted at me.

"Excuse me, Granger, but last time I checked I haven't done anything to anyone," I yelled back, marching past them towards the castle.

"You could have helped! Harry, Ron, and Iverson told me how you felt about —"

"Granger," I warned, spinning around to face the tetrad.

She looked furious while Harry, Weasley, and Kemper looked sheepishly between us. Spinning on my heel, I continued my march up the hill towards where Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle had been standing.

"Lady! Please tell me you heard what the oaf said," Draco chuckled.

"He's upset about his pet, Draco," I sighed, not wanting to fight with him. "Let's go."

"Look who comes," he smirked.

I turned to see the tetrad had finally caught up with me and I groaned knowing it wasn't going to be good.

"Did you see him blubber?" Draco shouted causing Crabbe and Goyle to laugh. "Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic? And he's supposed to be our teacher!"

The four of them looked furious at Draco's words and I swallowed worryingly.

"The Ministry and Executioner ought to be here any moment," Draco smirked. "Going to stay to see the show?"

My eyes widened as Granger practically pounced on Draco, holding her wand up to his neck.

"You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach," seethed Granger.

"Hermione, no," Weasley said weakly, "it's not worth it."

"Back off, Granger," I said sharply as Draco looked terrified. "I'm pretty sure murder won't look good on your resumé to be Minister of Magic."

Granger reluctantly pulled her wand away from Draco's neck and put it down. Draco looked from me to Crabbe to Goyle with a soft, fearless laugh as though he didn't almost pee himself seconds before. But just as quickly as Granger had put away her wand, she brought back her fist and placed a fat, heavy punch to Draco's nose.

Draco staggered back as we all looked flabbergasted.

"What the hell, Granger?" I shouted and raised my wand at her chest as she did the same.

"Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic," Granger spat at Draco. After a few seconds of staring at each other, we put down our wands.

"C'mon," Draco muttered and started to run away with Crabbe, Goyle, and me behind him.