forty-eight

Draco and I stayed at Hogwarts for the Christmas Holidays, and my birthday, because of our ongoing project that needed constant attention. Thankfully, though, Snape stopped trying to pull us into his office almost every other day and seemed to limit the summons to only once a week or so. And soon enough, it was the beginning of the second term— our time was running out.

But the new term started the next morning with a pleasant surprise for the sixth years: a large sign had been pinned to the common room notice boards overnight.

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.

"So — Apparition," said Pansy. "Should be a laugh?"

"Finally," I sighed. "I'd love to Apparate by myself and properly. Not only can I now legally do magic outside of Hogwarts, as I turned seventeen over the hols, but I can also learn to Apparate and do it myself."

"Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to Apparate in here," Draco said, rolling his eyes, "not in the castle..."

"Not the point, is it?" I smirked. "I'm one of the oldest students in our year. Everyone would know I could Apparate if I wanted."

"Really, Lady?" Pansy narrowed her eyes at me.

"You know me," I laughed, "I love being the best and if everyone knows? Even better."

About a month later, all of sixth year started our Apparating lessons. Draco, Pansy, and I were all excited to finally begin our lessons. When the seven of us arrived, we found that the tables had disappeared. Rain lashed against the high windows and the enchanted ceiling swirled darkly above us as we assembled in front of Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, and Sprout — the Heads of Houses— and a small wizard whom I took to be the Apparition instructor from the Ministry. He was oddly colourless, with transparent eyelashes, wispy hair, and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away.

"Good morning," said the Ministry wizard, when all the students had arrived and the Heads of Houses had called for quiet. "My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your Ministry Apparition instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition Tests at this time —"

"Ward, be quiet and pay attention!" barked Professor McGonagall.

Everyone looked around to find where I was at. I instantly flushed a bright pink; letting out a sharp breath, I stepped away from Crabbe and stepped closer to Draco as I was done arguing with Crabbe. I glanced quickly at Snape, who also looked annoyed, though I strongly suspected that this was less because of my rudeness than the fact that McGonagall had reprimanded one of his House.

"— by which time, many of you may be ready to take your tests," Twycross continued, as though there had been no interruption.

"As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The headmaster has lifted this enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasize that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try.

"I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear five feet of space in front of you."

People scrambled around trying to get out of each other's way, banging into each other, and ordered others out of their space. Stepping away from Draco, to be in position for lessons, I looked around me to see that Draco stood in between Crabbe and Goyle as I stood directly behind him.