twenty-nine

Arriving at King's Cross, Draco and I spotted Harry Potter with his little gang of Aurors and friends, including a large black German Shepherd.

"I'd love a dog," I mumbled to Draco. "Animals are so cute, I think I prefer them more than I prefer muggles."

"As you should," Lucius snapped. I looked up with wide eyes, not realizing I had been loud enough for him to hear. "Worry not, Adelaide, mutts are very likable, but not that one."

I raised an eyebrow as I looked at the animal, I saw nothing wrong with it. Looking over to Draco, he held the same confused face that I did.

Lucius seemed to have notice our oblivious confusion and said, "that is no normal mutt. It is an Animagus, an unregistered one at that. It's true form is Sirius Black."

My eyes widened to the size of saucers. Sirius Black is a known fugative. He'd have to be bloody stupid to be out in public. Only then did I notice how close he was trotting around with Harry, along with the fact he wasn't on a leash, how did I miss that?

"Off you both go," Mr Malfoy said once we comprehended the new information. "Don't be late to your prefect duties or slack off in your studies. I expect top scores from the both of you, no exceptions. You are to take your O.W.L.s this year, should I say more or do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir," Draco and I said, nodding goodbye.

We passed by Harry's entourage and made our way to our usual compartment to tell our friends of our prefect duties. Leaving our trunks in the compartment, Draco and I made our way to the prefect carriage. I almost lost it when we got there.

Standing side-by-side, chests puffed out, Granger and Weasley stood with bright red prefect badges on their chest. I bit my tongue as Draco scoffed. Elbowing him, I rolled my eyes at the new attention we had gotten from the two Gryffindors.

"Now," the Head girl, Aurora Armsty of Hufflepuff, said, "your duties as Prefects are to patrol the corridors of the Hogwarts Express, today; patrol hallways to ensure that other students are not breaking curfew, on select days; and, tonight, after the start-of-term feast, you must show the first-year students, of your House, where your common room is."

"And," added the Head Boy, Isaias Peters of Ravenclaw, "as Prefects you have access to the Prefect bathroom on the fifth floor, along with the ability to take points away from other houses and give detentions as punishments. Though, you are not allowed to take points from or issue detentions to other Prefects."

At his comment, I looked over to the Gryffindor Prefects, who were already looking at Draco and me, and gave them a smirk.

"Slytherin and Hufflepuff Prefects report to me—" Aurora Armstry said.

"— And Gryffindor and Ravenclaw Prefect report to me," Isaias Peters finished.

"Roll call," said Armstry pulling out a parchment with the Prefects' names on them. "From Hufflepuff: Ernie Macmillian—"

"Here," Macmillian beamed.

"— and Hannah Abbott—"

Abbott only raised her hand shyly, causing me to roll my eyes.

"— Slytherin is Draco Malfoy—"

"Present," Draco said, fixing his collar.

"— and Adelaide Ward?"

"Hello," I sighed. Armstry beamed at me, taking my word as a greeting rather than another way to tell her I was present.

Peters took the parchment out of Amstry's hands and read off the Gryffindor Prefects' names and then the Ravenclaws', Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil.