fifty-four

Lord Voldemort had officially taken over Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry along with the Ministry of Magic. Thicknesse had been appointed the new Minister of Magic, under control of the Imperious Curse, and the Daily Prophet only publishes what the Dark Lord wants (via Thicknesse).

Then, on top of all that, Professor Snape had been made Headmaster, there was a new law that forced Muggleborns to be questioned at the Ministry, and another law that required all school age children to go to Hogwarts. Before Draco and I could protest to going back to school, despite the fact that we are of age and no longer school age, Narcissa quickly told us we are meant to go to the castle to be out of the Manor.

On the morning of the first of September, Draco and I Apparated outside of the Hogwarts Express with our trunks. The steam train didn't seem quite as lush as it did the previous years and only brought on the feeling of dread.

"You alright, Lady?" Draco whispered into my ear.

"Just nervous," I muttered.

Draco nodded and pulled my large trunk into the luggage area. I waited outside for him and looked around. Instantly, I saw the flaming red hair of Ginny Weasley, but she wasn't accompanied by her brother and other friends. Glancing around myself, I quickly made my way over to Weaslette.

"Weasley," I hissed and she instantly turned around, her wand raised.

"What do you want, Ward?" she said dangerously.

My eyes widened as I took in her appearance. I'd always seen her as the first year who managed who almost die in the Chamber of Secrets, but now, she looked like the sixteen year old girl she is; she's matured.

"Where's your brother and Harry and Kemper and Gran —?"

"Ron is sick, at home, with Spattergroit, Hermione and Iverson've gone into hiding, like most muggleborns, and Harry... he's Harry Potter; he can't really come waltzing back to school," she seethed before I could finish my question.

"Weasley girl, put the wand down," Draco said lazily from behind me. "You're not even old enough to do magic outside of school."

"As if you care, Malfoy. What, will I get expelled? It's mandatory for everyone to go to Hogwarts anyways," Weaslette raised her eyebrow.

Before I could respond, the train whistle blew, signalling the near departure to the castle. Draco grabbed my hand and tugged to get me to go. Weaslette's eyes flickered from us to our hands and scoffed, turning away from us to walk through the other doorway.

It wasn't any better in the train; as Draco and I walked down the carriage, people moved out of our way. Snape had told us the reluctance students may have towards us as the rumour had gone around about us being Death Eaters— most likely, thanks to Harry Potter and his friends. Arriving at our usual compartment, I let out a sigh of relief as I saw Pansy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Blaise.

"Pansy!" I gasped and jumped her, giving her a hug.

"Adelaide!" she said equally excited and rocked me slightly. "I've missed you."

"I'm sorry," I said quietly and sat down in the empty seat near the window.

"Tell me everything," Pansy gushed.

"No," Draco said firmly, "there's nothing to tell."

Crabbe and Goyle gave Draco a perplexed look, resembling miniature trolls. Blaise only rolled his eyes and returned to his book as though he was upset with us. I bit my lip and hugged my knees up to my chest, leaning into Draco.

The train gave a jerk as it began to move. The Hogwarts Express moved steadily north and the scenery outside the window became wilder and darker while the clouds overhead thickened overhead. People were chasing backwards and forwards past the door of our compartment.