fifty-seven

For Christmas Holidays, most of the students went home; Draco and I were two of them. I dreaded going back to the Manor as the Dark Lord and a hoard of Death Eaters resided there was well. But our first Christmas treat was the absence of Lord Voldemort and, with a thought like that, I was glad Bella had taught us Occlumency.

Draco and I took the familiar way to our rooms and went into the study room where we found Narcissa Malfoy sitting in the armchair near the fireplace. She looked as though she were in her own world until the door behind us closed. Her eyes snapped up to us and her eyes glazed over with tears.

"Draco," she breathed and shot up, embracing him in a hug. "Adelaide, oh my," she turned to me and hugged me as well.

"Hello, Narcissa," I said softly as Draco mumbled, "Mother."

She pulled away from us and looked us over, worry clearly filling her eyes. Subconciously, I pulled the sleeves of my cardigan over my hands and hugged myself. Draco noticed his and wrapped his arm behind my waist. Narcissa's brows slightly raised and then fell back in her usual neutral look.

"How have you both been?" she asked us softly.

"I've gotten top marks on my exams this term," I answered.

"As have I, except for Charms— nearly there," Draco muttered indignantly.

"That's quite alright," Narcissa Malfoy smiled. "Proud of my children, nonetheless."

The woman in front of me was upset and distracted, her comment meant well, but I knew there was more than that. I loved her like the mother she acted like towards me. The way she was holding herself worried me for she wasn't her usual self. Though I smiled softly at her, I knew it didn't reach my eyes but Draco's mother only smiled back.

"Mother, we've just traveled seven hours—"

"Oh, yes!" Narcissa cut her son off. "I'll let you two get settled and I'll have Quintzy come up and bring you dinner."

Before Draco and I could respond, Narcissa turned away from us and out of the study door. Quintzy popped in with two bowls of Butternut Squash Soup, water goblets, and a tray of mini chocolate tarts. Once the overly eager house-elf left, Draco and I sat in our chairs and ate our late dinner.

"Do you think your mother is okay?" I asked Draco. "She looked very worried and seemed distracted."

"I think we've officially fallen out of the Dark Lord's favor," said Draco sadly. "The only reason Father is out of Azkaban and we're alive is because Snape went through with the deed. Had he not helped us..."

My heart plummeted into my stomach as Draco brought up the past. Even hearing about it caused an uproar of different emotions.

"You think so?" I whispered and let out a little sigh.

"And that fact that my Aunt Bella is one of his favourites," he nodded.

"I suppose," I said as I put down my half eaten soup and leaned back into my chair. "I just want this war to be over."

"That entails Harry Potter's death."

My eyes snapped up to Draco's and frowned. There was no other way and thinking of any possible way was treacherous.

I sighed sadly, "I know. I just wish there was another way."

Draco raised a brow at me and I knew what he thought: The only other way was the death of the Dark Lord and that was terrifying.

I woke up in at almost one in the morning, terrified. It was the morning after Christmas and the Dark Mark burned badly. I hardened my jaw as I tried to not cry out in pain; it felt worse than receiving it, like a long hot knife slowly making its way thought the black ink. Grasping the mark, I quietly made my way to Draco's room and saw him sitting up in his bed holding his left arm as well.