forty-five

Draco and I spent all of our free time, along with late nights, with the bloody Vanishing Cabinet. No matter how many charms and spells we placed on the piece of furniture to advance its mending time, it never worked. And worse of all, Malfoy Manor had been searched.

"Draco, look at this— I bet it was Harry Potter," I seethed tossing the Evening Prophet onto his lap. Moving his tea cup aside, I watched his eyes blur as he read the article.

"I can't— This is— 'This second search of the Death Eaters residence does not seem to have yielded any results. Arthur Weasley of the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects said that his team had been acting upon a confidential tip-off'? As if they'd find anything at our house," Draco scoffed angrily.

"I swear, Draco, I'm going to get him," I took deep and heavy breaths.

The next morning, Draco and I got two separate owls: From Borgin saying our package is in place and from Professor McGonagall stating that Draco had detention on the day of the first Hogsmeade's trip.

"Draco, I warned you! I told you to keep your studies and do your homework," I whispered harshly. "I even offered to allow you to copy mine, but you didn't."

"I'm sorry, I've been a little preoccupied lately," he snapped.

"And I haven't?" My voice rose an octave.

"Adelaide, just—"

"I'll have to do... I can do it alone," I said matter-of-factly. "You will have to go to detention and I will..."

"Are you sure?" he said softly.

"I have no choice," I nodded, pushing my breakfast away from me.

Draco gave me a reassuring smile as Filch signed me out for the day. I quickly made my way down the path towards Hogsmeade when I saw the backs of Harry, Weasley, Kemper, and Granger's heads. Slowly down, I heard their soft conversation.

"— Death Eaters can't all be pure-blood, there aren't enough pure-blood wizards left," said Granger stubbornly. "I expect most of them are half-bloods pretending to be pure. It's only Muggleborns they hate, they'd be quite happy to let you and Ron join up."

"There is no way they'd let me be a Death Eater!" Harry said hotly. "Why would I be a Death Eater when they are trying do me in?"

"And my whole family are blood traitors!" Weasley said indignantly. "That's as bad as Muggleborns to Death Eaters!"

I narrowed my eyes at them and pushed past them, breaking up their little conversation.

"Do you think she heard?" I heard Kemper's voice as I walked away.

"Who cares," I heard Weasley's distant voice.

Stupid Granger with her stupid ideas. "...most of them are half-bloods pretending to be pure..." Whether her comment was a subconscious gibe at me or not, it didn't sit right with me.

Pushing the thought out of my mind, I made my way to Hogsmeade. There weren't many students in the village yet as I had gotten here quickly, nearly running. It was perfect. Making my way to Three Broomsticks, it was relatively empty. Taking a deep breath, I mentally recited the plan Draco and I made.

The plan was to have a Hogwarts student bring the pretty opal necklace to school. There is no way it would get through Filch's dark detectors so she would be sent to Dumbledore's office where he would— hopefully— touch it and get cursed and...

I told myself, I would choose the first student that walked into the Three Broomsticks. It would be a victim of opportunity, not just a specific student. I chose the table closest to the bathroom and saw Madam Rosmerta looking through the pantry where Borgin said the necklace was going to be placed.