fifteen

So I had thought that I had gotten out of Granger's inquiry, but it seemed as if she had been mulling it over the Christmas Holidays. I barely made it up the dungeon, stairs towards the Great Hall for breakfast, when a blur of brown fur rushed up to me and grabbed my arm. Pansy made a noise as Granger excused us. Pulling me away from the throng of students on their way to breakfast, Granger let go.

"Do you have no manners?" I said indignantly. "A simple 'Can I talk to you?' would have sufficed."

"You would have said no," she huffed.

"Maybe you are bright," I smirked sarcastically.

"Ward," Granger warned.

"Granger," I mocked.

"You're so insufferable!"

"Then why do you constantly try to talk to me," I snapped. "I just want breakfast and go on about my day without annoying Gryffindors getting in my way, yet here you are."

"I just wanted to make a truce—"

"A truce? What ever for?"

"Between us, like a sort of civil rivalry," Granger huffed.

"Why?"

"We have a lot in common."

"As if," I scoffed. "We have nothing in common nor do I want us to. You're a Gryffindor and I am a Slytherin, clear rivalry to anyone with a brain— or even without."

"Don't be such a.. a—"

"A what?"

"A Slytherin!" Granger exasperated and I almost laughed at her stupid comment. "You very well know we have loads in common. We both want to be top of our year, are highly smart and accomplished girl, and are mugglebo —"

My previous light-hearted banter quickly hardened at her dangerous insinuation.

"Hermione Granger, I do not care about a friendship with you nor do I care what you want or don't want, but I will not stand here and allow you to call me a muggleborn," I said the last part very lowly in a dangerous growl.

"I don't care for a friendship with you either but this feud you and Malfoy have with Harry has to stop and I have the perfect solution," Granger said with a smirk.

"Are you going to blackmail me into agreeing to be civil?" I scoffed and when Granger's smirk didn't falter, I narrowed my eyes at her. "You've got to be joking. I'm being blackmailed by a muggleborn bitch."

"Nothing major," Granger said quickly. "All you need to do is keep Malfoy on a leash and not taunt my friends and me. It's quite simple."

"Nothing is simple about that agreement, Granger. Have you met Draco? Me? Keeping him on a leash? Please, I can do that just as much as you can keep Harry from his people-saving whim," I rolled my eyes.

"Well, Adelaide, I reckon we keep our rivalry strictly academic," Granger sighed. "We may not be able to control our friends, but I see no need to continue our little feud as we have the same goals and share similar traits, despite your incessant protest against it."

"Fine," I said, "we'll be civil, but this does not mean we are friends! Or even familiar with one another. It is not right for a Slytherin and Gryffindor to be friendly and if Mr Malfoy hears of this, I'm surely on the streets."

Granger raised her brow as if she had something to say but quickly neutralised her face at my icy glare.

"And no word of any of this," I seethed, slowly making my way to her, "I swear if I hear anything from anyone you will regret crossing me, Hermione Granger."