Chapter 1

The Run is a ceremony held on the first of June, where all unclaimed Omegas that are of age are required to participate. This is the ceremony where most Omegas will find their mates. They must run through the forest, usually in wolf form, as Alphas chases them, maneuvering around tough terrain and possibly fighting said Alphas. If caught by an Alpha, the Omega will become their mate- for life.

However, if they make it to the end of the forest, the Omega completers are able to select a mate from a group of Elite Alphas. Elite Alphas were Alphas who come from a high class family, either being rich or having a family member of high political power. These Alphas sit at the end of the forest, waiting for Omega completers, who are deemed to be smart, fast, and strong. Elite Alphas also have the option to run with the other Alphas, but most would prefer to wait for a Omega completer so they could have the best offspring possible.

Though, an Omega completer also has the choice of choosing no mate.

George was an Omega. Despite being a male Omega, he is able to bear offspring like how female Alphas are able to impregnate.

He absolutely hates this tradition - being forced to be mated with a random Alpha for life - but is forced to participate by law. At age twenty, he was able to complete not only his first Run at age eighteen, but a second Run at age nineteen.

George was well known as the Omega who had completed the Run for two years in a row. He was also well known for not choosing an Elite Alpha for a mate at the end of the Runs.

He is who most Alphas want to claim.

Today was the first of June. It was the day where the Run was held. George sighed bad temperedly as he sat on a chair in the Omegas' area. There were many Omegas, mostly female, all talking or stretching, warming up for the run.

"Aren't you excited George?"

He turns his head to his friend, Darryl, who looked at him, eyes wide with excitement.

"Not really," he mumbled.

"This is my first run!" Darryl babbled. "I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time. I really hope I get a good mate."

George listens half heartedly. His friend's words going in one ear and out the other. The only thing he was thinking about was making it to the end of the Run for the third year in a row. He knows that he'll have it harder for each year he completes.

Any Omega that completes the run are "strong" and "smart", perfect traits to pass on to future pups. George knows that he'll probably be targeted, even more so this year than last.

"Do you think I'll get a good mate?" Darryl asks George, head tilted.

George didn't have the heart to ignore his friend, who was so innocent and kind hearted. "I'm sure you'll get a good Alpha," George says comfortingly. He also didn't have the heart to tell him that most Omegas don't get a "good" mate- a mate that loved him for being him, not a mate who wanted him so he could bear his pups.

"Do you think you'll complete this year's Run?"

George sighs. "I hope so. But I know I'll have it rough this year. I can tell a lot of Alphas are going to chase me."

"You can do it, George!" Darryl says encouragingly.

"I hope so," he replies. "Why don't you try to complete the Run?"

The other Omega shakes his head. "I know I'm not physically adept for that- but I'll definitely try! I read somewhere that..."

As Darryl rambles on again, George's eyes narrow in suspicion. If he was in wolf form, his hackles would be raised. He turns to look around, eyes darting through the large crowd before shaking his head. He could have sworn he felt eyes on him.

"George?" Darryl calls out, concerned. "Are you okay?"

He runs a hand through his hair. "Yeah..." he replies, smiling gently. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Omegas, please line up next to the gates. The Run will be starting in five minutes."

George blinks at the sound of the announcement from the loud speakers. It was almost time.

"George," Darryl hesitantly says as they both walk to the gates. "I'm nervous now."

"Don't be," George smiled as comfortingly as he can. "You'll do fine. Just keep running."

"Easy for you to say," the Omega grumbled. "Mister two year completer."

George couldn't help but giggle. "I'll meet you on the other side okay? You're going to have a wonderful, loving mate."

"The Run is starting in 5..."

"Good luck, George," Darryl smiles.

"4..."

"You too, Darryl," George replies back.

"3..."

George looks around. No one had broken the rules yet. All Omegas must shift into wolf form after they have passed the gates.

"2..."

Ten minutes after they were released, the Alphas will then be released.

"1..."

He takes a deep breath, preparing himself to shift. George also hears Darryl taking a deep breath.

"Go!"

He heard the thundering footsteps as the Omegas ran past the gates, most shifting into wolf form.

But George stood still, allowing the blurs of the different wolf pelt colors passing him. He narrows his eyes, glaring at the Alphas' area. There was definitely someone watching him. Not only one person, but multiple.

He runs past the gates before shifting into his wolf form, a lean, black wolf with amber eyes. He starts running, already passing several other Omega wolves.

Did some Alphas think they could claim and mate George?

No, not this year.