v. reunion

June 8, 1511

The day started out terribly. Henry insisted on a stroll in the gardens, but wouldn't tell me why. My temporary ladies-in-waiting were just as agitated as me because they had to prepare me at such an early hour. They dressed me in a simple, breathable gown and then sent me off to the gardens.

When I finally found Henry, he seemed too lively to be real. It was almost obnoxious how energetic he was so early in the morning. He was so excited and cheery, which was a good thing, of course, but it seemed so strange that he'd be so happy at such an early hour.

"Anna!" he greeted, "Did you sleep well last night?"

"I did, thank you," I replied, looping my arm in his. Together, we looked regal. "Until I had to wake up."

"I promise it will be worth it," he assured me.

I yawned. "It better be."

In the distance, I saw four familiar figures. My mother spotted Henry and I first, and I noticed her perk up when she did. She seemed as tired as I was, but she pointed at us cheerfully. 

"That's my-" I turned to Henry in disbelief. "You did this?" He only nodded in response, but I could tell he was pleased with the outcome.

I was suddenly very awake, like my family was a drug I forgot I needed. I practically ran over to them, pulling Henry along with me.

Beatrice was the first to approach me. I'd almost forgotten what she looked like because it had been so long since she'd been home. Her dark blonde curls framed her delicate face, and her deep brown eyes glimmered in the morning light.

"Anna! My baby sister!" she greeted dramatically. It was painfully obvious that she was over exaggerating her happiness. She wrapped me in an awkward hug, our contradicting heights clashing. It only lasted a millisecond, but it was still incredibly uncomfortable.

"I'm not a baby anymore," I reminded her, "I'm getting married."

We both laughed nervously, the tension rising. Henry must have noticed it, because he chose that moment to step in.

"I am so glad you are able to be here," he said. "It is very nice to finally meet everyone."

"We are grateful for everything you have done for us, and especially for Anna," my father answered.

Elizabeth greeted us next, after my father nudged her forward. She did not seem happy to be back at the palace, though I couldn't blame her. She was so convinced she'd be queen, it must've upset her that it was me instead.

"Anna," she nodded to me politely, and then turned to the king and curtsied. I could see the bitterness on her face. "Your Majesty. Congratulations."

She didn't hesitate to step back and allow my parents to finally speak. My mother hugged me tightly, and I felt whole again. I missed her the most.

"Anna, are you happy here?" she whispered. I could hear the genuine concern in her voice. She really cared about my comfort more than anything.

"Yes, very," I answered simply.

"Then, I am, too."

My father had been speaking to Henry, but I didn't even care what they were saying. I had my mother here, the only person who I wholly trusted.

"Anna, we are very happy for you. You've made us very proud," my father said.

My heart sank. I shouldn't have been surprised that his pride got the best of him. But I couldn't help but be disappointed that the only thing he cared about was himself and how my marriage was benefiting him. It seemed selfish on his part and desperate on mine. Was I really so deprived of his care that I needed to go to such great lengths to prove myself?